BOB

Default Turkey Fryer

Reg typed:
> Aria wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it add a ton
>> more calories to the turkey?

> Not if cooked properly. The oil should be at 325 F minimum. If it goes lower
> for very long the meat will absorb oil. This is true for all deep frying.
>
>> Would the skin turn out crispy like cooking chicken in a fryer?

> You'll definetely get crispy skin by frying.

And a nice mahogony like color.

>> Anyone have preferences between smoked and fried turkey???

> I'll take a properly smoked turkey any day. Deep frying is trendy and
> overrated IMO. That said, I'll be frying one this Thanksgiving. Not because
> it creates some sort of unique taste sensation, but because the oven where
> I'm cooking will be used for other things that day.

Where is your smoker, Reg? In My not so Humble Opinion, smoked is much better.

Aria,
Just make sure all the directions are followed. Among them, but definately *not
all* a
Don't use the fryer indoors, not even in the garage.
Make sure the surface that you put it on is fire proof.
Place the turkey in the pot and cover the turkey with water.
Remove the turkey and mark the level of the water.
Remove the water and dry the pot.
Fill the pot to no more than this pre-measured line with oil.
Heat the oil following the directions that came with the fryer.

BOB