Posted to rec.food.preserving
Tarpon Tarpon is offline

Default Jelly help please

I've a couple questions that I would appreciate help with.

I've made 2 batches of hot pepper jelly. The first set to a thick,
corn syrupy consistency, not quite a jelly, but not too bad. The
second I used a different recipe followed it exactly but this one only
set to a maple syrup or salad dressing consistency. Also I found that
both batches foamed quite a lot when I was boiling them, to the point
of overflowing.

So the questions are...
1. Is it worthwhile to try and reprocess the 2nd batch to make it
thicker? If so can anyone point me to the means to do so?
2. Is the "foaming" normal or do I have my heat set too high? I don't
think I was using too small a pot, it was an 8 liter and I was only
making 7 cups of jelly.

Thanks for any aid.

John