Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Jelly help please

I've a couple questions that I would appreciate help with.

I've made 2 batches of hot pepper jelly. The first set to a thick,
corn syrupy consistency, not quite a jelly, but not too bad. The
second I used a different recipe followed it exactly but this one only
set to a maple syrup or salad dressing consistency. Also I found that
both batches foamed quite a lot when I was boiling them, to the point
of overflowing.

So the questions are...
1. Is it worthwhile to try and reprocess the 2nd batch to make it
thicker? If so can anyone point me to the means to do so?
2. Is the "foaming" normal or do I have my heat set too high? I don't
think I was using too small a pot, it was an 8 liter and I was only
making 7 cups of jelly.

Thanks for any aid.

John
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Tarpon" > wrote in message
> I've a couple questions that I would appreciate help with.
>
> I've made 2 batches of hot pepper jelly. The first set to a thick,
> corn syrupy consistency, not quite a jelly, but not too bad. The
> second I used a different recipe followed it exactly but this one only
> set to a maple syrup or salad dressing consistency. Also I found that
> both batches foamed quite a lot when I was boiling them, to the point
> of overflowing.
>
> So the questions are...
> 1. Is it worthwhile to try and reprocess the 2nd batch to make it
> thicker? If so can anyone point me to the means to do so?
> 2. Is the "foaming" normal or do I have my heat set too high? I don't
> think I was using too small a pot, it was an 8 liter and I was only
> making 7 cups of jelly.
>
> Thanks for any aid.
>
> John

You can only try, friend. Look he http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ.htm
That's our faq site, very helpful in many ways.
Help us help you, type out the recipe you're using? I'm up at 4,000 feet
elevation (over 1,000 m.) and I found that cooking an extra 30 min in the
added pectin recipe was good. Also good was measuring in the tin cups.
Measuring even liquids in the for-liquid cups I can easily overmeasure and
more than enuf is not! good.
I use about 1/2 tsp (a very small squirt) of canola oil (or any other
light unflavory oil) or butter will help that foaming, then take off heat,
let cool & stir for several minutes before jarring.
Let us know how you do!
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> "Tarpon" > wrote in message
>> I've a couple questions that I would appreciate help with.
>>
>> I've made 2 batches of hot pepper jelly. The first set to a thick,
>> corn syrupy consistency, not quite a jelly, but not too bad. The
>> second I used a different recipe followed it exactly but this one only
>> set to a maple syrup or salad dressing consistency. Also I found that
>> both batches foamed quite a lot when I was boiling them, to the point
>> of overflowing.
>>
>> So the questions are...
>> 1. Is it worthwhile to try and reprocess the 2nd batch to make it
>> thicker? If so can anyone point me to the means to do so?
>> 2. Is the "foaming" normal or do I have my heat set too high? I don't
>> think I was using too small a pot, it was an 8 liter and I was only
>> making 7 cups of jelly.
>>
>> Thanks for any aid.
>>
>> John

> You can only try, friend. Look he
> http://www.jaclu.com/rfpFAQ/rfpFAQ.htm
> That's our faq site, very helpful in many ways.
> Help us help you, type out the recipe you're using? I'm up at 4,000 feet
> elevation (over 1,000 m.) and I found that cooking an extra 30 min in the
> added pectin recipe was good. Also good was measuring in the tin cups.
> Measuring even liquids in the for-liquid cups I can easily overmeasure and
> more than enuf is not! good.
> I use about 1/2 tsp (a very small squirt) of canola oil (or any other
> light unflavory oil) or butter will help that foaming, then take off heat,
> let cool & stir for several minutes before jarring.
> Let us know how you do!
> Edrena

EEK! Damn pain rxgrumblegrumblegrumble. I cook pectin added jams an extra 30
*seconds.* Gee whiz. I read somewheres that one can cook pectin too much and
it dissolves the protein strands after awhile.
Gawd I love this geeky stuff.
Edrena

I Like Jelly Pie [email protected] General Cooking 1 20-01-2006 08:22 PM
Jelly The Cook Preserving 5 11-10-2005 07:34 PM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Beer 3 27-01-2005 04:03 AM
Jelly Bean Jelly (Jam) alandem Chocolate 0 25-01-2005 05:00 PM
Jelly Palm jelly? TM Preserving 8 26-07-2004 10:47 PM