Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default Put lard in your beans

"redietz" > wrote in message
On Sep 30, 2:08 pm, "Wayne Lundberg" >
wrote:

> I have been adding a spoonful of lard to a pot of beans forever. And we,
> as
> a family, never lifted the house during the night with gases as happens to
> others who don't use lard.
>
> Comments?

I'm not entirely sure that lard is the reason. (I've also heard the
claim made that epazote will reduce flatulence.)

The trick more seems to be to eat beans regularly -- it allows you to
build up the intestinal flora needed to properly digest them. I know
from experience this is true for me. If I eat beans daily, no
problem. If I go without for a month, and then start again, big
problem. This is true whether the beans contain lard, epazote or
neither.

I'm not knocking lard, though.

claim made that epazote will reduce flatulence.)

The trick more seems to be to eat beans regularly -- it allows you to
build up the intestinal flora needed to properly digest them. I know
from experience this is true for me. If I eat beans daily, no
problem. If I go without for a month, and then start again, big
problem. This is true whether the beans contain lard, epazote or
neither.

I'm not knocking lard, though.

I have to agree with you. The body 'learns' how to handle stuff that may be
a bit different than grain, grass or meat. Dried legumes need special
attention, methinks. Thanks for your note!