Posted to alt.food.wine
MarcB MarcB is offline

Default 1989 Ch Lynch Bages; (1996 Dominus)

Wife and I shared, with two friends, our annual anniversary bottle of
1989 Ch. Lynch Bages. Decanted shortly before drinking.

Sight: Still very, very dark, although not as close to black as in
previous years. Bright red core, and very youthful appearance.

Nose: Not very forthcoming, but with apparent Pauillac character.

Taste: WOW. Amazingly rich mouthfeel, with layered fruit, more black
than red for about the first twenty seconds. Next the substantial
tannins, not harsh, but very prominent, kicked in. Then the array of
flavors, fruit, cedar, tea, tar, hint of licorice, hint of chocolate,
persisted for about another two minutes. Just a tremendously
powerful, yet elegant and interesting wine. Much more open and
accessible than previous years. A+ on my lick-your-chops scale.

The 96 Dominus came next, also decanted about 30 min before drinking,
and it suffered by comparison. In fact, for the the first few sips it
seemed actually a bit thin. Later, we appreciated it more, and it
seemed obviously new world (which has not been my prior experience
with Dominus). A nicely balanced wine, ready to drink.

Marc