Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Basque wine with "paella"

DaleW wrote:

>> I'm a bad person to ask, folks can tell you even my French
>> pronunciation is poor. For that matter my English is iffy. But I say
>> something along the lines of "Cho men" and "Cha ko li". Pretty sure
>> the Tx is a Ch sound.- Hide quoted text -

> Oops, see you asked re Txakolina, not Txakoli (the 2 seem to be
> somewhat interchangeable). So add the na!

Yes, the tx takes a "ch" sound in Basque and IIRC in Catalan. FWIW, no
less an authority than the scholar Otto Nieminen told me that both
txakoli and txakolina are Basque words for "wine." Getariako refers to
the region and the grape for white wines is Hondurrabi Beltza and for
the reds Hondurrabi Zuri (among others).

Mark Lipton