Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Basque wine with "paella"

I know many sneer at that icon of bad 70s cooking, the crockpot. But
sometimes when we both are working late the it comes in handy. Before
she left for rehearsal, Betsy browned chicken and set up slowcooker
with rice, veggies, the chicken, and smoked ham. When she got home she
added shrimp and peas for final bit of cooking, and made brussels
sprouts (charred and topped with balsamic). This was something like a
version of paella, I offered her the choice of white or rose. She went
white, and I opened the 2006 Txomin Etxaniz Getariako Txakolina. These
wines often remind me of a big style of Muscadet a la Briords, and
this is no exception. Mineral, citric, with good length. I didn't
notice any petillance (as some Txacoli have). More stony/chalky than
fruit driven, nice wine. B+/B

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> I know many sneer at that icon of bad 70s cooking, the crockpot. But
> sometimes when we both are working late the it comes in handy. Before
> she left for rehearsal, Betsy browned chicken and set up slowcooker
> with rice, veggies, the chicken, and smoked ham. When she got home she
> added shrimp and peas for final bit of cooking, and made brussels
> sprouts (charred and topped with balsamic). This was something like a
> version of paella, I offered her the choice of white or rose. She went
> white, and I opened the 2006 Txomin Etxaniz Getariako Txakolina. These
> wines often remind me of a big style of Muscadet a la Briords, and
> this is no exception. Mineral, citric, with good length. I didn't
> notice any petillance (as some Txacoli have). More stony/chalky than
> fruit driven, nice wine. B+/B

I agree about the Getariako Txakolina/Muscadet resemblance, though the
Ametzoi that I've had is lighter, more like a Pepiere or Pierre de la
Grange. Fun wines to drink regardless, especially when they've got some
petillance.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> I know many sneer at that icon of bad 70s cooking, the crockpot. But
> sometimes when we both are working late the it comes in handy. Before
> she left for rehearsal, Betsy browned chicken and set up slowcooker
> with rice, veggies, the chicken, and smoked ham. When she got home she
> added shrimp and peas for final bit of cooking, and made brussels
> sprouts (charred and topped with balsamic). This was something like a
> version of paella, I offered her the choice of white or rose. She went
> white, and I opened the 2006 Txomin Etxaniz Getariako Txakolina. These
> wines often remind me of a big style of Muscadet a la Briords, and
> this is no exception. Mineral, citric, with good length. I didn't
> notice any petillance (as some Txacoli have). More stony/chalky than
> fruit driven, nice wine. B+/B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I'm curious: how do you pronounce "Txomin" and "Txakolina"?

Basque wine names are even more impenetrable than Greek ones.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 25, 1:46�pm, ernie > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > I know many sneer at that icon of bad 70s cooking, the crockpot. But
> > sometimes when we both are working late the it comes in handy. Before
> > she left for rehearsal, Betsy browned chicken and set up slowcooker
> > with rice, veggies, the chicken, and smoked ham. When she got home she
> > added shrimp and peas for final bit of cooking, and made brussels
> > sprouts (charred and topped with balsamic). This was something like a
> > version of paella, I offered her the choice of white or rose. She went
> > white, and I opened the 2006 Txomin Etxaniz Getariako Txakolina. These
> > wines often remind me of a big style of Muscadet a la Briords, and
> > this is no exception. Mineral, citric, with good length. I didn't
> > notice any petillance (as some Txacoli have). More stony/chalky than
> > fruit driven, nice wine. B+/B

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> I'm curious: �how do you pronounce "Txomin" and "Txakolina"?
>
> Basque wine names are even more impenetrable than Greek ones.- Hide quoted text -

I'm a bad person to ask, folks can tell you even my French
pronunciation is poor. For that matter my English is iffy. But I say
something along the lines of "Cho men" and "Cha ko li". Pretty sure
the Tx is a Ch sound.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 25, 2:51�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 25, 1:46 pm, ernie > wrote:
>

> > DaleW wrote:
> > > I know many sneer at that icon of bad 70s cooking, the crockpot. But
> > > sometimes when we both are working late the it comes in handy. Before
> > > she left for rehearsal, Betsy browned chicken and set up slowcooker
> > > with rice, veggies, the chicken, and smoked ham. When she got home she
> > > added shrimp and peas for final bit of cooking, and made brussels
> > > sprouts (charred and topped with balsamic). This was something like a
> > > version of paella, I offered her the choice of white or rose. She went
> > > white, and I opened the 2006 Txomin Etxaniz Getariako Txakolina. These
> > > wines often remind me of a big style of Muscadet a la Briords, and
> > > this is no exception. Mineral, citric, with good length. I didn't
> > > notice any petillance (as some Txacoli have). More stony/chalky than
> > > fruit driven, nice wine. B+/B

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> > I'm curious: how do you pronounce "Txomin" and "Txakolina"?

> > Basque wine names are even more impenetrable than Greek ones.- Hide quoted text -

> I'm a bad person to ask, folks can tell you even my French
> pronunciation is poor. For that matter my English is iffy. But I say
> something along the lines of "Cho men" and "Cha ko li". Pretty sure
> the Tx is a Ch sound.- Hide quoted text -

Oops, see you asked re Txakolina, not Txakoli (the 2 seem to be
somewhat interchangeable). So add the na!

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

>> I'm a bad person to ask, folks can tell you even my French
>> pronunciation is poor. For that matter my English is iffy. But I say
>> something along the lines of "Cho men" and "Cha ko li". Pretty sure
>> the Tx is a Ch sound.- Hide quoted text -

> Oops, see you asked re Txakolina, not Txakoli (the 2 seem to be
> somewhat interchangeable). So add the na!

Yes, the tx takes a "ch" sound in Basque and IIRC in Catalan. FWIW, no
less an authority than the scholar Otto Nieminen told me that both
txakoli and txakolina are Basque words for "wine." Getariako refers to
the region and the grape for white wines is Hondurrabi Beltza and for
the reds Hondurrabi Zuri (among others).

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
:

> I'm a bad person to ask, folks can tell you even my French
> pronunciation is poor. For that matter my English is iffy. But I say
> something along the lines of "Cho men" and "Cha ko li". Pretty sure
> the Tx is a Ch sound.

I agree with Cha ko li. Txomin is more like Cho min (like the min in
minute).

Best from Spain,

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago > wrote:

[Pronunciation of "Txakolina" and "Txomin"]

>> I'm a bad person to ask, folks can tell you even my French
>> pronunciation is poor. For that matter my English is iffy. But
>> I say something along the lines of "Cho men" and "Cha ko li".
>> Pretty sure the Tx is a Ch sound.

> I agree with Cha ko li. Txomin is more like Cho min (like the
> min in minute).

Strange coincidence on the Iberian peninsula: to the best of
my knowledge, the letter "x" is pronounced "sh" in all three
minority languages: Basque, Catalan and Galego (Galician).

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 25, 4:29�pm, santiago > wrote:
> DaleW > wrote :
>
> > I'm a bad person to ask, folks can tell you even my French
> > pronunciation is poor. For that matter my English is iffy. But I say
> > something along the lines of "Cho men" and "Cha ko li". Pretty sure
> > the Tx is a Ch sound.

> I agree with Cha ko li. Txomin is more like Cho min (like the min in
> minute).
>
> Best from Spain,
>
> s.

Why I'm so poor at trying to phoneticize speech- to me "men" is the
same as the min in minute!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 26, 1:52�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 25, 4:29 pm, santiago > wrote:
>
> > DaleW > wrote :

> > > I'm a bad person to ask, folks can tell you even my French
> > > pronunciation is poor. For that matter my English is iffy. But I say
> > > something along the lines of "Cho men" and "Cha ko li". Pretty sure
> > > the Tx is a Ch sound.

> > I agree with Cha ko li. Txomin is more like Cho min (like the min in
> > minute).

> > Best from Spain,

> > s.

> Why I'm so poor at trying to phoneticize speech- to me "men" is the
> same as the min in minute!

Could be your regional accent. I have a midwestern American accent
which to me is hard to detect but I've heard a lot of folks pronounce
the "min" in minute the same as the "men" in men. I hear "men" that
rhymes with "hen" and I hear the "min" that rhymes with "pin"

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 26, 2:05�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> Could be your regional accent. �

No could be about it, I'm sure it is!
I pronounce dog and hog differently.
While my Southern accent isn't extreme,it does affect various words.
At least I don't call a certain red-fleshed fish "sall-mon" as some
relatives do.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2008-09-26 10:52:25 -0700, DaleW > said:

> On Sep 25, 4:29�pm, santiago > wrote:
>> DaleW > wrote innews:efd5ce9d-0321-4d9f-81bb-88d157eae8e1

> @x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> I'm a bad person to ask, folks can tell you even my French
>>> pronunciation is poor. For that matter my English is iffy. But I say
>>> something along the lines of "Cho men" and "Cha ko li". Pretty sure
>>> the Tx is a Ch sound.

>> I agree with Cha ko li. Txomin is more like Cho min (like the min in
>> minute).
>>
>> Best from Spain,
>>
>> s.

> Why I'm so poor at trying to phoneticize speech- to me "men" is the
> same as the min in minute!

And in Mandarin Chinese romanizations, "men" rhymes with "bun"

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 26, 2:26�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2:05 pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > Could be your regional accent.

> No could be about it, I'm sure it is!
> I pronounce dog and hog differently.
> While my Southern accent isn't extreme,it does affect various words.
> At least I don't call a certain red-fleshed fish "sall-mon" as some
> relatives do.

There are a lot of Appalachian folks around here who pronounce O-H-I-O
as Ah-hi-ya with the accent on the second syllable so I would be from
"Klumbis Ahiya". BTW, that would be pronounced "sal-min" around here.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 26, 2:55�pm, Ronin > wrote:
> On 2008-09-26 10:52:25 -0700, DaleW > said:
>

> > On Sep 25, 4:29 pm, santiago > wrote:
> >> DaleW > wrote innews:efd5ce9d-0321-4d9f-81bb-88d157eae8e1

> > @x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

> >> I agree with Cha ko li. Txomin is more like Cho min (like the min in
> >> minute).

> >> Best from Spain,

> >> s.

> > Why I'm so poor at trying to phoneticize speech- to me "men" is the
> > same as the min in minute!

> And in Mandarin Chinese romanizations, "men" rhymes with "bun"- Hide quoted text -

I can't imagine how the Mandarins would pronounce Vosne Romanee or
Leroy but around here it's "Lee-roy Voz-knee Rom-knee"...that one
always hurts my ears..;-)
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bi!! wrote:

> I can't imagine how the Mandarins would pronounce Vosne Romanee or
> Leroy but around here it's "Lee-roy Voz-knee Rom-knee"...that one
> always hurts my ears..;-)

You mean... that's NOT how it's pronounced, Bill? :P

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Pronay > wrote in
:

> Strange coincidence on the Iberian peninsula: to the best of
> my knowledge, the letter "x" is pronounced "sh" in all three
> minority languages: Basque, Catalan and Galego (Galician).

You may be right. I do not speak Euskera, Catalán or Galego. Not a single
word.

Perhaps "Tx" is pronounced "Ts", or it might be "Ch" so it would be "tsa-
ko-li" or "cha-ko-li" with many variants in between.

Best,

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
:

> Why I'm so poor at trying to phoneticize speech- to me "men" is the
> same as the min in minute!

Dale,

I am really not that good with English. Besides, all my experience is with
formal English, since most of my practice was done in Southern England (as
many young Spaniards, I may add).

Best,

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in news:gbjd8f$3hd$1
@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu:

> You mean... that's NOT how it's pronounced, Bill? :P
>
> Mark Lipton

With Vosne-Romanée, if it is pronounced properly (I would say something
like "Fonn-Womanéh") nobody in Spain would understand.

Same with Montrachet (Mon-ga-shé with a very open "o", close to an "a").

Now, the real difficulties come with Le Tertre-Rotebouef ;-)

best,

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in
> :
>
>>Why I'm so poor at trying to phoneticize speech- to me "men" is the
>>same as the min in minute!

> Dale,
>
> I am really not that good with English. Besides, all my experience is with
> formal English, since most of my practice was done in Southern England (as
> many young Spaniards, I may add).
>
> Best,
>
> s.

Thanks for the pronounciation responses, everyone.

I can return the favor with the pronounciation of Greek wines (despite
my original post, I don't have a problem with them, having grown up
speaking Greek). Xinomavro?
Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in
> :
>
>>Why I'm so poor at trying to phoneticize speech- to me "men" is the
>>same as the min in minute!

> Dale,
>
> I am really not that good with English. Besides, all my experience is with
> formal English, since most of my practice was done in Southern England (as
> many young Spaniards, I may add).
>
> Best,
>
> s.

Thanks for the pronounciation responses, everyone.

I can return the favor with the pronounciation of Greek wines (despite
my original post, I don't have a problem with them, having grown up
speaking Greek). Xinomavro?

Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago > wrote:

> Now, the real difficulties come with Le Tertre-Rotebouef ;-)

^^^
True: -boeuf

scnr,

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago > wrote:

> Now, the real difficulties come with Le Tertre-Rotebouef ;-)

^^
True: -boeuf

scnr,

M.