Brick

Default Grilling help?

"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
> Been doing great with Q for years but when it comes to grilling I'm
> driving myself nuts!!
>
> Put on some 9 oz fillets last night. Coals VERY hot, VERY close to

the
> meat, closed the lit and gave them 4 min utes. Turned and gave

another
> 4. RAW inside. I like em rare but this was TOO rare.
>
> I LOVE rules ofthumb so does someone have one for grilling steak?

For
> every inch of thickness give the steak X minutes/side or something?
>
> Coals high or low? Help please

The three Jacks that posted to this thread all gave excellent advice.
Jack
Curry in particular posted how to measure the degree of doneness of
a steak with a fair degree of accuracy. There is one additional method
which I have used with success for many years. Of course this method
will not work if you have to flip the steak more then once. And that
will
happen if the fire is too hot. Watch for red sweat beads to form on
the
surface of the meat. When the first bead appears you are on the way to
a rare steak. Flip it at once. When the first bead appears on the
other
side you have a finished rare steak. Carrying this philosophy through
to the bitter end, if you let the steak go until you have sweat beads
on
a third or more of the surface you might as well feed it to the dogs.

Brick