Walt Lewis

Default Grilling help?

Been doing great with Q for years but when it comes to grilling I'm
driving myself nuts!!

Put on some 9 oz fillets last night. Coals VERY hot, VERY close to the
meat, closed the lit and gave them 4 min utes. Turned and gave another
4. RAW inside. I like em rare but this was TOO rare.

I LOVE rules ofthumb so does someone have one for grilling steak? For
every inch of thickness give the steak X minutes/side or something?

Coals high or low? Help please

Barry

"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
> Been doing great with Q for years but when it comes to grilling I'm
> driving myself nuts!!
>
> Put on some 9 oz fillets last night. Coals VERY hot, VERY close to the
> meat, closed the lit and gave them 4 min utes. Turned and gave another
> 4. RAW inside. I like em rare but this was TOO rare.
>
> I LOVE rules ofthumb so does someone have one for grilling steak? For
> every inch of thickness give the steak X minutes/side or something?
>
> Coals high or low? Help please

I would assume that the coals weren't very HOT.
We cook 2" sirloins on a BGE
3-4 minutes per side (600-700 degree fire) then shut both top and bottom
draft doors for another 3-4 minutes.
Always medium rare perfect steaks.
Can't do it with thin steaks, cause they just cook too fast.

Jack Schidt®

"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
> Been doing great with Q for years but when it comes to grilling I'm
> driving myself nuts!!
>
> Put on some 9 oz fillets last night. Coals VERY hot, VERY close to the
> meat, closed the lit and gave them 4 min utes. Turned and gave another
> 4. RAW inside. I like em rare but this was TOO rare.
>
> I LOVE rules ofthumb so does someone have one for grilling steak? For
> every inch of thickness give the steak X minutes/side or something?
>
> Coals high or low? Help please

Let the meat get to room temp before you grill them. that way the inside
won't be cold when the outside is seared.

Jack

Jack Curry

"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
> Been doing great with Q for years but when it comes to grilling I'm
> driving myself nuts!!
>
> Put on some 9 oz fillets last night. Coals VERY hot, VERY close to the
> meat, closed the lit and gave them 4 min utes. Turned and gave another
> 4. RAW inside. I like em rare but this was TOO rare.
>
> I LOVE rules ofthumb so does someone have one for grilling steak? For
> every inch of thickness give the steak X minutes/side or something?
>
> Coals high or low? Help please

First, there's nothing wrong with flipping a steak several times while
cooking it to prevent charring (searing is wonderful, burning is not so
good). This will allow the interior of the steak to cook more without
charring the outside.
Second, let your steaks dwell after they've been seared on each side. Move
them off the direct heat and let them cook more. If your grill has a cover,
use it to contain heat and dwell.
Third, use the Touch Test to determine doneness. Pressing on a steak will
give you an excellent indication of how much it's cooked inside. Here's
how:
First, to learn the "feel," touch the tip of your left index finger to the
tip of your left thumb, then with your right hand, press on the meaty part
of your left hand at the base of your thumb. This is what a rare steak
feels like.
Next, touch the tip of your middle finger to the tip of your thumb. Feel
the meaty part...that's medium rare.
Then the ring finger, that's medium/medium well.
And then the pinky. Hard, huh? That's how a dead steak feels. Feed it to
the dogs.
You asked for a "Rule of Thumb." Got the thumb and finger too, eh? Better
than goin' to a proctologist.
<g>
Jack Curry

Walt Lewis

Cooking on a barbichef with the coal tray all the way up and a full
chimnet of lump. I'd call it VERY hot myself -- no hair on my nuckles
after reinstalling the grates.

Next time, I'll try 5 per side then move them off the heat and let em
cook for another 5 and see what happens.

Walt

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 14:46:35 GMT, "Barry" >
wrote:

>"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
.. .
>> Been doing great with Q for years but when it comes to grilling I'm
>> driving myself nuts!!
>>
>> Put on some 9 oz fillets last night. Coals VERY hot, VERY close to the
>> meat, closed the lit and gave them 4 min utes. Turned and gave another
>> 4. RAW inside. I like em rare but this was TOO rare.
>>
>> I LOVE rules ofthumb so does someone have one for grilling steak? For
>> every inch of thickness give the steak X minutes/side or something?
>>
>> Coals high or low? Help please

>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

>I would assume that the coals weren't very HOT.
>We cook 2" sirloins on a BGE
>3-4 minutes per side (600-700 degree fire) then shut both top and bottom
>draft doors for another 3-4 minutes.
>Always medium rare perfect steaks.
>Can't do it with thin steaks, cause they just cook too fast.

Jack Smith

"Walt Lewis" >
> I LOVE rules ofthumb so does someone have one for grilling steak? For
> every inch of thickness give the steak X minutes/side or something?
>
> Coals high or low? Help please

The best "rule of thumb" that I know of is the method that professional
chefs use. With a finger, touch the top of the meat. As it gets more and
more done, it will get firmer. A steak soft to the touch is rare, when it
is beginning to get to medium you will notice it becoming more firm to the
touch. When it feels quite firm, it is well done (or ruined, in my
opinion). It will take some practice, but it is quite accurate for steaks.
Use a good HOT fire for steaks, as well. All grills are different, so
"timing" can be difficult. As you mentioned, you grill different
thicknesses of beef as well as different cuts, which will always cause the
timing to be different. Use the good old touch method and a hot grill for
consistantly good steaks without fooling around with a meat thermometer.

Jack Smith

Brick

"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
> Been doing great with Q for years but when it comes to grilling I'm
> driving myself nuts!!
>
> Put on some 9 oz fillets last night. Coals VERY hot, VERY close to

the
> meat, closed the lit and gave them 4 min utes. Turned and gave

another
> 4. RAW inside. I like em rare but this was TOO rare.
>
> I LOVE rules ofthumb so does someone have one for grilling steak?

For
> every inch of thickness give the steak X minutes/side or something?
>
> Coals high or low? Help please

The three Jacks that posted to this thread all gave excellent advice.
Jack
Curry in particular posted how to measure the degree of doneness of
a steak with a fair degree of accuracy. There is one additional method
which I have used with success for many years. Of course this method
will not work if you have to flip the steak more then once. And that
will
happen if the fire is too hot. Watch for red sweat beads to form on
the
surface of the meat. When the first bead appears you are on the way to
a rare steak. Flip it at once. When the first bead appears on the
other
side you have a finished rare steak. Carrying this philosophy through
to the bitter end, if you let the steak go until you have sweat beads
on
a third or more of the surface you might as well feed it to the dogs.

Brick

John O

If it feels like.....it's.....

your cheek, rare
your chin, medium
your forehead, med-well
the sole of your shoe, well.

I broke down and bought a temp probe. I stick it in the side of the steak,
after I see those red beads Brick mentioned. My steaks come off the grill at
145, my wife's at 155. They sit for a few, and they're perfect.

--
John O
reply email is anti-spammed

Grilling rajiv123 General Cooking 9 22-02-2010 02:47 AM
I know it's grilling Louis Cohen Barbecue 0 28-12-2006 04:48 AM
grilling for everyone grillmaster General Cooking 1 11-02-2006 03:22 AM
grilling for everyone grillmaster General Cooking 0 11-02-2006 02:46 AM
Grilling machine that let's you dice/chop/slice meat while grilling Forte Agent General Cooking 2 15-11-2004 01:03 AM