Jack Curry

Default Grilling help?

"Walt Lewis" > wrote in message
> Been doing great with Q for years but when it comes to grilling I'm
> driving myself nuts!!
>
> Put on some 9 oz fillets last night. Coals VERY hot, VERY close to the
> meat, closed the lit and gave them 4 min utes. Turned and gave another
> 4. RAW inside. I like em rare but this was TOO rare.
>
> I LOVE rules ofthumb so does someone have one for grilling steak? For
> every inch of thickness give the steak X minutes/side or something?
>
> Coals high or low? Help please

First, there's nothing wrong with flipping a steak several times while
cooking it to prevent charring (searing is wonderful, burning is not so
good). This will allow the interior of the steak to cook more without
charring the outside.
Second, let your steaks dwell after they've been seared on each side. Move
them off the direct heat and let them cook more. If your grill has a cover,
use it to contain heat and dwell.
Third, use the Touch Test to determine doneness. Pressing on a steak will
give you an excellent indication of how much it's cooked inside. Here's
how:
First, to learn the "feel," touch the tip of your left index finger to the
tip of your left thumb, then with your right hand, press on the meaty part
of your left hand at the base of your thumb. This is what a rare steak
feels like.
Next, touch the tip of your middle finger to the tip of your thumb. Feel
the meaty part...that's medium rare.
Then the ring finger, that's medium/medium well.
And then the pinky. Hard, huh? That's how a dead steak feels. Feed it to
the dogs.
You asked for a "Rule of Thumb." Got the thumb and finger too, eh? Better
than goin' to a proctologist.
<g>
Jack Curry