Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Homemade Vanilla Extract

James wrote to Nexis on Sun, 21 Sep 2008 20:39:34 GMT:

>>> The stuff from the Dominican was brought back for me by a
>>> local chef.

>> That doesn't make it real vanilla. Read the labels, you'll
>> see. It's vanilla flavored, but not real vanilla.

> Vanillin is a major part of the vanilla flavor but not all of it and
> that is why commercial "vanilla flavor" is not very
> convincing if you've tried the real stuff. Have you heard of
> putting a vanilla bean in a jar of sugar? I believe the flavor
> is transferred quite well.

I got interested in this and referred to the old standby, "The Joy of
Cooking". Vanilla extract is said to be made by "macerating" (fancy word
for steeping) the beans in a 35% alcohol solution. Another interesting
thing is the recommendation to add vanilla extract only when the food is
cooling.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland