Karen

Default Panettone recipe wanted...

"Richard Washbourne" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> The subject says it all really - does anyone out there have a good recipe
> for that wonderful Italian cake* Panettone? I've seen a few on the

internet
> but there is a lot of variation and want something someone can thoroughly
> recommend.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> :-P
>
> * technically a "bread" I know but who eats it like bread?

Here's my tried-and-true version of pannetone. Warning: It's addictive!
;-)

Karen

PANNETONE

1/4 cup diced orange peel
1/4 cup diced lemon peel
1/4 cup diced citron (optional)
1/2 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup currants (optional)
1/4 cup dry sherry

Toss fruit in sherry; let stand 30 minutes. Measure flour (see recipe
below), then combine drained dried fruit with the flour.

1 cup warm water (110°F)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup plain, nonfat yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of one lemon
1/2 cup white sugar (can decrease to 1/4 cup if desired)
3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast (or 1/4-ounce package)

In medium bowl, combine yeast, water, and sugar. Cover and let stand 10
minutes, or until foamy. Add eggs, yogurt, vanilla, lemon zest, and salt.
Mix well. Stir in flour (to which dried fruit has been added) 1/2 cup at a
time until dough forms a manageable ball. Turn out onto a lightly floured
surface and knead for 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as necessary, until
dough is soft and pliable but not sticky. (May need up to 5 cups flour.)
Place dough in a large, lightly Pam-sprayed bowl, cover, and let rise in a
warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) and spray a round 8-inch cake pan with
nonstick spray. Punch down dough. Form dough into a ball, place in
prepared cake pan, cover loosely with dish towel, and let rise 30 minutes.
(Loaf will rise above the pan sides.) Brush with 1 tablespoon melted
butter, if desired. Bake on lowest rack in oven for 45 minutes, or until
loaf is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cover loaf with foil during last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent
overbrowning. Makes 1 loaf (10 wedges).

Note: I've also made this successfully in my bread machine. Just add
ingredients in the order that your ABM manufacturer recommends (remember,
the dried fruit will be mixed with the flour) and bake on large light loaf
setting.

To make smaller individual pannetone for gift-giving, punch down and divide
dough (after first rise) into 4 equal portions. Form into balls and place
in Pam-sprayed 2-cup soufflé dishes; cover loosely with dish towel, and let
rise for 30 minutes. Bake at 325°F for about 30 minutes. Cover with foil
last 15-20 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning.