Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default Serious loss

On Sep 18, 1:02�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Richard Neidich wrote:
> > I totally agree with you on pricing of Caymus and the select. �I remember
> > buying for $35 a bottle for the 92/92...by 96 about $69 and that was my last
> > bottle.

> > In my opinion, Caymus is not or has not been a great ager since 1985
> > vintage.

> I was a big fan of Caymus in the '80s, when I could get the estate Cab
> for $10-15 a bottle. �I was never as fond of the SS, which was so oaky
> at release, even if it did become integrated with age (my cellaring
> facilities were non-existent back then). �Starting with the '91, the
> prices shot through the roof and the style changed to a more forward,
> fleshy wine that lacked the structure of earlier Caymus Cabs. �I
> attribute many of those changes to the generational change from Charlie,
> a crusty old farmer, to Chuck, a more slick and commercially oriented
> Wagner (and to the influence of one critic in MD). �They weren't alone
> is that change, as it was happening all over Napa, but I haven't bought
> a Caymus wine since.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Mark,
Certainly I'm not a big fan of the fleshy style made popular
through the mid to late 90's in California then to the rest of the
world as "Parkerized" wines but Caymus SS is one of the few that I
still enjoy. The fruit is clean and elegant, the oak is a bit more
restrained these days. If you ever make it to Columbus I would look
forward to going through a number of vintages with you and getting
your impression....of course after we plow through a few Dujac's,
Vogue's and Meo Camuzets!