Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default Serious loss

I've had a bad week! On Sunday Ohio experienced Cat One hurricane
winds. Hard to believe but true....due to the mixture of the remnents
of Ike passing through along with a jetstream wind of 140mph we had
winds upwards of 75 mph for over six hours creating substantial damage
to homes, tens of thousands of trees toppled, no power to 500,000
homes many won't have power for another week to ten days....I lost a
number of trees and a windshield on my Cayenne...:-( Today while
moving some stuff on my cellar I dropped my only bottle of 1979 Opus
One signed and given to me by Robert Mondavi. It fell and hit
squarely on the punt and broke at about the midpoint..(I have hardwood
floors in my cellar) so I saved the remaining wine, strained it and
drank it. Still fairly youthful, plenty of cassis and a very Bordeaux
like nature with cedar and tobacco notes, a bit of minty eucalyptus
and well resolved tannins. I rue the loss of my hickory nuts, my paw-
paws and my signed Opus One.