Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 1985 Lindemans Pyrus Coonwarra Red Wine

I met a friend today for lunch (my birthday) and he brought a bottle
of 1985 Lindemans Pyrus Coonwarra Red wine. It a Bordeaux blend of
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cab Franc and Malbec. We had grilled lamb
chops at my favorite bistro and the wine was a good match. The cork
was a bit fragile but we coaxed it out with care. The wine was brick/
brown and there was a ton of shumutz coating the inside of the
bottle. I didn't hold out much hope for the wine but an intial sniff
showed sweet cassis and cedar. The wine was stunning. Not quite
Bordeaux like, it was lacking in the cigar box, leather notes but
there was a nutty, sweet quality that was very complex. Plenty of red
currant and berry flavors and a hint of mint. The tannins were totally
resolved and there was a streak of high toned acidity to balance out
the fruit. It was a surprise and I'm pleased that I got to share it
with a good friend.