Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1985 Lindemans Pyrus Coonwarra Red Wine

I met a friend today for lunch (my birthday) and he brought a bottle
of 1985 Lindemans Pyrus Coonwarra Red wine. It a Bordeaux blend of
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cab Franc and Malbec. We had grilled lamb
chops at my favorite bistro and the wine was a good match. The cork
was a bit fragile but we coaxed it out with care. The wine was brick/
brown and there was a ton of shumutz coating the inside of the
bottle. I didn't hold out much hope for the wine but an intial sniff
showed sweet cassis and cedar. The wine was stunning. Not quite
Bordeaux like, it was lacking in the cigar box, leather notes but
there was a nutty, sweet quality that was very complex. Plenty of red
currant and berry flavors and a hint of mint. The tannins were totally
resolved and there was a streak of high toned acidity to balance out
the fruit. It was a surprise and I'm pleased that I got to share it
with a good friend.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 11, 1:57�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I met a friend today for lunch (my birthday) and he brought a bottle
> of 1985 Lindemans Pyrus Coonwarra Red wine. It a Bordeaux blend of
> Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cab Franc and Malbec. �We had grilled lamb
> chops at my favorite bistro and the wine was a good match. �The cork
> was a bit fragile but we coaxed it out with care. �The wine was brick/
> brown and there was a ton of shumutz coating the inside of the
> bottle. �I didn't hold out much hope for the wine but an intial sniff
> showed sweet cassis and cedar. �The wine was stunning. �Not quite
> Bordeaux like, it was lacking in the cigar box, leather notes but
> there was a nutty, sweet quality that was very complex. Plenty of red
> currant and berry flavors and a hint of mint. The tannins were totally
> resolved and there was a streak of high toned acidity to balance out
> the fruit. �It was a surprise and I'm pleased that I got to share it
> with a good friend.

Sounds great.
Happy Birthday!
I've tended to mostly associate Lindemans with the low end wines I
mostly see. But the '92 St George was quite nice 3 or 4 years ago.
Thanks for notes on the Pyrus.

TN: 1985 claret at Mortons, plus 82, a mystery wine (still amystery), CA, etc. DaleW Wine 3 04-02-2010 02:22 PM
1985 Ch Gloria Emery Davis[_2_] Wine 1 18-04-2009 05:46 PM
lindemans cabernet sauvignon bottled 2002 is it consumable? [email protected] Wine 2 08-05-2006 06:17 PM
TN: Expectations (Hiedler, Lindemans, Chave, Burgs) Dale Williams Wine 2 10-02-2004 09:13 PM
TN: Lindemans Reserve Shiraz 2001 Jeffrey Wine 2 06-10-2003 03:03 AM