Posted to alt.food.sushi
Gerry[_3_] Gerry[_3_] is offline

Default japanese name for halibut?

Typos galore. I think I'll correct them.

On 2008-09-11 09:10:56 -0700, "Musashi" > said:

>> ah... so it'd ohyou, not ohyo?

The "u" hanging out there serves only to give the visual intention that
the OH sound [should be] long, rather than short. Another form of
romaji has this as an o with a horizontal dash [above] it.

> I am writing in Romaji, a way to write Japanese words with English
> characters.
> In Kana, the letters would be: O Hi yo U

And the way the kana work [the] hiyo is really intended to be pronounced hyo.

> Outside of Japan, often Japanese words don't follow the Romaji rules,
> hence the Mariners Player called Ichirou ends up as Ichiro.

For most Americans there is no distinction between the way Japanese say
ichiro versus ichiroo, with the [former] forming a somewhat "clipped"
version of "oh" by our standards, and [the] latter producing a regular
or lazy "oh".

Such fun!

--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.