Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default Pairing Question

On Sep 3, 11:39*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I've been out of pocket for the last week with rotator cuff surgery
> done last Friday so we're doing a belated end of summer get together
> this weekend. *One of the early courses is a tomato and watermelon
> salad-heirloom tomato, watermelon, red onion, english cucumber, a bit
> of fresh herbs and a pinch of cayenne all in a light red wine vinegar
> and olive oil dressing...just a touch of sugar. *I've tried this salad
> with a number of wines and haven't found a good match yet. *I'm
> considering a domestic Rose, perhaps a grenache based wine or a rose
> sparkler. *Any thoughts?

I can not resist :-). A Greek Retsina should hold up to tomatos,
onions, vinegar, etc, but it might even overpower these strong tastes.
It is important to get a decent fresh Retsina, as cheap and old ones
tend to smell more like something needed to clean the toilet rather
than for drinking. Some would say that about any Retsina, even if
fresh and decent. I might select a not-too-expensive rose sparkling
wine. But I likely would drink most of it before or after eating the
salad if the match did not turn out to my taste. I hope you are
feeling better after your recent surgery.