Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Approximately how many ounces of canned beets equals threemedium-sized beets?

On Sep 1, 4:39*pm, Chris Tsao > wrote:
> Since they don't sell beets in my neighborhood, I got the idea to buy
> canned beets for my borscht tomorrow. *So I am hoping someone in here
> can tell me how many ounces of beets from a can should I use for a
> borscht recipe which calls for three medium beets.

I made borscht with canned beets a couple of times; it was so-so, at
best. Then a few years ago we started growing beets in our little
backyard garden and sooner or later I tried borscht with fresh beets.
To us, it made a world of difference. So don't give up on your
neighborhood markets, keep your eye out for fresh beets, and try
borscht again when you find some.

Oh, and when you buy them, keep the greens and steam them. They're
great, too. --aem