Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Dennis R. Dennis R. is offline

Default O.T. Medi-Ped Diabetic Shoes

In article >,
says...
<snip>
> Julie might have something there. WalMart is known for contracting with
> companies for a line of product bearing the company's name. This
> product, however, will be made to WalMart's specifications and will most
> probably not equal the manufacturer's 'famous' quality.
>
> My DH, who has had diabetes for over 20 years, only started having to
> wear something higher than K-Mart grade shoes. It's not from the DM,
> either, but because he's just getting old.
>
> I wear SAS shoes because I have genetically awful feet and they are the
> only sandals that I can wear in the world. I can also wear their
> walking shoes without custom orthotics.
>
> He bought a pair one day and has sworn by them ever since.
>
> We are lucky to have one of the few actual factory "outlets" (there are
> some factory stores, but they are not discounted) near us. The shoes are
> a little pricey, but wear well and are so worth it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS_Shoemakers

I also have had trouble finding comfortable shoes all of
my life, what with flat feet and the need for a very
high "box" just behind the toes. Clarksons, Rockports,
and all but one line of New Balance were just impossible
to get into, even in EEE widths.

For awhile I wore Timberlands, but they have very heavy
soles. Once I stopped wincing at the price of SAS shoes
and actually tried them, I never looked back. Each pair
has lasted me 5 years of daily use. The SAS inserts I
have had to replace every two years.

They are expensive here in Canada, and only one store in
a metropolitan area of 350,000 carries them. One pair of
9 1/2 EEE "casual" shoes runs CAN $230 + taxes, and a
pair of replacement inserts for them runs CAN $30 +
taxes. I could shop across the border in the malls
outside of Detroit, Michigan, but I don't like to go to
the USA because of lack of medical coverage I would
have. Everybody else calls me paranoid, but I don't see
that the savings would cover my gas, tolls, and time

Dennis (Type 2)