Posted to rec.food.chocolate
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default Chocolate makers vs. chocolatiers

Farrel > wrote:
> I told the owner of my surprise about not seeing chocolate being made.
> He explained that there were only about 12 chocolate makers in the
> whole world. Companies such as Hershey, Cadbury, Nestle, Mars and
> Ghirardelli fit into that category. However, companies such as Godiva,
> Sees and thousands of others make chocolate products but do not make
> chocolate itself.

This is pretty much true, though there are some boutique grinders, the
majority of chocolate makers buy large bars wholesale and melt them.
There is some art in getting the particular type of chocolate and
some will add chocolate liquor and/or cocoa powder to adjust the
flavor profile.

> I thought the readers of this group would be interested in this
> knowledge. Can those of you in the know confirm it?

> Which other companies make chocolate as opposed to create and market
> chocolate products?

There are some new small batch machines for conching (the process
of grinding beans into smooth chocolate) just now coming onto the
market and you may see more small boutique grinders popping up.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.