Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Help with meatballs

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:36:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"jacquie" > wrote in message
>>news:_dCdnS54hOazejHVnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
>>> Also don't defrost ground beef in the Microwave...it makes it fall
>>> apart...I read that somewhere but heck if I can find it now

>>I never defrost meat and in most cases I try not to freeze it to begin
>>with.
>>I don't like frozen food.

> Neither do I; too hard on the teeth biting through those
> frozen chops.
>
> But seriously, why don't you like using a freezer?
>
> I couldn't do without my freezer and the flexibility it
> gives me to store meats, pre-cooked dishes and similar.

Stuff generally doesn't taste good to me when it is frozen. There are a few
exceptions. But in generally I don't like eating leftovers. I sometimes
have to put meat in the freezer if I didn't use it fast enough, but that
almost guarantees that it will never get eaten and I will be throwing it
out, a year or so from now when I find it all frostbitten and bad looking.

I do have allergen free chicken nuggets that come frozen and I eat them for
lunch most days. I'm not thrilled with them but I can make them quickly and
they don't make me sick. For a while I had frozen individual servings of
taco meat that I used for taco salads, but I can no longer eat those.

Perhaps my dislike of frozen foods came from the month of spaghetti. I was
living in my first apartment and going through a very tough time
financially. I can't remember the exact set of circumstances now, but I had
very little money for food. I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce (no meat
or cheese) and mixed it with a large package of cooked spaghetti. I then
portioned this up in the myriad of Tupperware and the like that had been
left there by assorted roommates.

Every day, I took spaghetti to lunch at work because there was a microwave
there. I didn't have one at home and had no way of reheating it. I
remember wanting to cry when a coworker said to me, "You sure must like
spaghetti!" I think I ate that for a month and not much else.

Husband will not eat anything that has been frozen. Daughter is not too
keen on it, demanding fresh food and I just prefer fresh food.

Now I suppose if we lived in some part of the country where we got snowed
in, I might think differently. But since I go to the store every couple of
days, there is no reason for us not to have fresh food all the time. And I
don't consider the freezer to be fresh.