Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Help with meatballs

If you've been following my posts over the years, you'll see that I haven't
had much luck making meatballs from scratch. The turkey ones were like
rubber and the ones with the coconut flour tasted good, but broke into
pieces.

Now Angela will be taking back to back dance classes this year and on those
days I want something to make in the crockpot so our dinner will be ready
when I get home. I found this recipe:

http://www.geocities.com/webcipes2/app/a106.html

Now before you freak, I do not intend to make it with the chili sauce and
jelly. Not for me anyway... I would be more likely to do them in tomato
sauce.

But... It looks like the only thing they put in those meatballs is the meat
and the seasonings. Could this be? I always assumed the crumbs and eggs
were used as a binder. But perhaps they are used as a way of cheapening up
the dish? Has anyone here ever made meatballs with just meat? If so, were
they good in texture? Did they fall apart?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> If you've been following my posts over the years, you'll see that I haven't
> had much luck making meatballs from scratch. The turkey ones were like
> rubber and the ones with the coconut flour tasted good, but broke into
> pieces.
>
> Now Angela will be taking back to back dance classes this year and on those
> days I want something to make in the crockpot so our dinner will be ready
> when I get home. I found this recipe:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/webcipes2/app/a106.html
>
> Now before you freak, I do not intend to make it with the chili sauce and
> jelly. Not for me anyway... I would be more likely to do them in tomato
> sauce.
>
> But... It looks like the only thing they put in those meatballs is the meat
> and the seasonings. Could this be? I always assumed the crumbs and eggs
> were used as a binder. But perhaps they are used as a way of cheapening up
> the dish? Has anyone here ever made meatballs with just meat? If so, were
> they good in texture? Did they fall apart?
>
> Thanks!

I've made meatballs with just an egg as a binder. Crumbs are a filler
and are not necessary. A little freshly grated Parmesan in the mix and
some fresh parsley work great, too. Don't stuff them into the pot. Bive
them enough sauce to float around in while cooking. Too many meatballs
in the pot and they come out tough.

You do need to have a bit of fat in the ground beef. Too lean and they
fall apart. I grind my own beef from chuck roasts when they are on
sale. That way I control the amount of fat. The texture is also a little
coarser which is helpful when making meatballs and meatloaf without fillers.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

I have made them like that. that chili sauce and jelly is an old sweet
and sour rauce recipe that has been makign the rounds for a g azillion
years. I made them fo rmy daughter's 15th birthday paarty served in a
chafing dish with rice for a group of teenagers who just loved it and
thought it very elegant:-) Other vrioations use cranberry sauce, ketchup
or just plain tomato(not Italian type) saucelike Del Monte here in the US.

I suppose you coul dmake it with artificially sweetened jam. I never even
bothered to brown thos meat balls, just boiled them in the sauce. Lead
pipe cinch adn great for a bunchof kids.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> If you've been following my posts over the years, you'll see that I
>> haven't had much luck making meatballs from scratch. The turkey ones
>> were like rubber and the ones with the coconut flour tasted good, but
>> broke into pieces.
>>
>> Now Angela will be taking back to back dance classes this year and on
>> those days I want something to make in the crockpot so our dinner will be
>> ready when I get home. I found this recipe:
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/webcipes2/app/a106.html
>>
>> Now before you freak, I do not intend to make it with the chili sauce and
>> jelly. Not for me anyway... I would be more likely to do them in tomato
>> sauce.
>>
>> But... It looks like the only thing they put in those meatballs is the
>> meat and the seasonings. Could this be? I always assumed the crumbs and
>> eggs were used as a binder. But perhaps they are used as a way of
>> cheapening up the dish? Has anyone here ever made meatballs with just
>> meat? If so, were they good in texture? Did they fall apart?
>>
>> Thanks!

> I've made meatballs with just an egg as a binder. Crumbs are a filler and
> are not necessary. A little freshly grated Parmesan in the mix and some
> fresh parsley work great, too. Don't stuff them into the pot. Bive them
> enough sauce to float around in while cooking. Too many meatballs in the
> pot and they come out tough.
>
> You do need to have a bit of fat in the ground beef. Too lean and they
> fall apart. I grind my own beef from chuck roasts when they are on sale.
> That way I control the amount of fat. The texture is also a little coarser
> which is helpful when making meatballs and meatloaf without fillers.

Can't do egg or cheese. I do have some artificial parmesan that tastes and
smells like the real thing, but I don't know how well it would hold up in
cooking. And husband won't eat anything he thinks is faux. Perhaps my
mistake was in using very lean beef. That's the kind I always buy.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message

> I have made them like that. that chili sauce and jelly is an old sweet
> and sour rauce recipe that has been makign the rounds for a g azillion
> years. I made them fo rmy daughter's 15th birthday paarty served in a
> chafing dish with rice for a group of teenagers who just loved it and
> thought it very elegant:-) Other vrioations use cranberry sauce, ketchup
> or just plain tomato(not Italian type) saucelike Del Monte here in the US.
>
> I suppose you coul dmake it with artificially sweetened jam. I never even
> bothered to brown thos meat balls, just boiled them in the sauce. Lead
> pipe cinch adn great for a bunchof kids.

I have actually NEVER had those meatballs like that. A friend told me they
were always being brought to potlucks where he worked. He said people just
gobbled them right up, but that he didn't like them. For as many potlucks
as I've been to over the years, nobody has ever brought them. And it just
doesn't sound good to me because I don't like sweet foods. But they might
be good.

I don't do artificial jams. I used to eat some strawberry stuff and thought
it was good, until I tried the Crofters with no added sugar. That stuff
tastes soooo good, there is no way I can ever go back to the other. I tried
to and now it just tastes nasty to me. The only time I eat it is on a
peanut butter sandwich and I only use a small smear of it.

Might make the recipe as is for husband and daughter some day. They might
like it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> If you've been following my posts over the years, you'll see that I
> haven't had much luck making meatballs from scratch. The turkey ones
> were like rubber and the ones with the coconut flour tasted good, but
> broke into pieces.
>
> Now Angela will be taking back to back dance classes this year and on
> those days I want something to make in the crockpot so our dinner will be
> ready when I get home. I found this recipe:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/webcipes2/app/a106.html
>
> Now before you freak, I do not intend to make it with the chili sauce and
> jelly. Not for me anyway... I would be more likely to do them in tomato
> sauce.
>
> But... It looks like the only thing they put in those meatballs is the
> meat and the seasonings. Could this be? I always assumed the crumbs and
> eggs were used as a binder. But perhaps they are used as a way of
> cheapening up the dish? Has anyone here ever made meatballs with just
> meat? If so, were they good in texture? Did they fall apart?

Sicilian Meatballs -- Baduzzi a Broru -- Meatballs in Broth.

INGREDIENTS:

For the meatballs:

1-1/4 pounds ground beef (not too lean, I'd suggest chuck)
2 eggs
3 ounces pecorino pepato (pecorino romano with peppercorns in it --
substitute regular romano if need be), grated
2 ounces Italian bread dipped in milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1-2 cloves garlic and a small bunch of parsley, minced
Salt & pepper to taste

For the Broth (if you don't already have broth handy):

A piece of bone with marrow
1/2 a chicken
A small onion
A small stick of celery and a carrot, tied together
2-3 plum tomatoes

PREPARATION:
Place your minced meat on your work surface and work into it the two eggs,
the bread, which should be thoroughly soaked (this is the secret to making
meatballs that are moist and tender, rather than dry and hard), the minced
herbs, the grated cheese and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Form the
mixture into meatballs (about an inch in diameter), rolling them between
your palms, and roll them lightly in bread crumbs.

They are at this point ready to be cooked in marinara sauce or broth, which
you should make by simmering the ingredients listed above for an hour or
slightly more (see instructions if need be) if you do not already have
sauce or broth handy.

**********************

Sicilian Pizza Sauce

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (San Marzano Romas)
2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled with added puree
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
salt & fresh ground pepper
3 large garlic cloves, minced

1. Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onion, basil and oregano; cook until onion softens slightly,
stirring occasionally, about 6 minute
3. Mix in garlic and cook 2 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer; cook until sauce is of desired
thickness.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. NOTE: Sauce can be prepared ahead. Cover and refrigerate 1 week or
freeze up to 1 month.

Ottaviana's Meatballs

Now, no sauce is complete without Meatballs. So here is my recipe for them.
And the best part is you don't fry them first!

1½ Lbs. of Ground Sirloin
1 egg
¼ cup of Bread Crumbs (unseasoned style)
1 tsp. dried Parsley flakes
2 tbs. Pecorino Romano
Salt to taste
(another recommendation is to substitute the bread crumbs for French bread.
A stale piece of French bread soaked in some water and excess water
squeezed out. Then break up in little pieces).

Mix everything together well, and roll into balls about the size of a golf
ball, (or smaller if you prefer). Drop into sauce. That's right, just roll
and drop! Let cook with the sauce for the same amount of time it takes
sauce to cook.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> [...]

> 2 tbs. Pecorino Romano
> Salt to taste
> (another recommendation is to substitute the bread crumbs for French
> bread.
> A stale piece of French bread soaked in some water and excess water
> squeezed out. Then break up in little pieces).
>
> Mix everything together well, and roll into balls about the size of a golf
> ball, (or smaller if you prefer). Drop into sauce. That's right, just roll
> and drop! Let cook with the sauce for the same amount of time it takes
> sauce to cook.
>
> --
> Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their families!
> I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
> They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
> You are not forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Unfortunately those recipes are loaded with stuff we are allergic to. Can't
do bread, eggs, milk or cheese. But thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Also don't defrost ground beef in the Microwave...it makes it fall apart...I
read that somewhere but heck if I can find it now

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> If you've been following my posts over the years, you'll see that I
>> haven't had much luck making meatballs from scratch. The turkey ones
>> were like rubber and the ones with the coconut flour tasted good, but
>> broke into pieces.
>>
>> Now Angela will be taking back to back dance classes this year and on
>> those days I want something to make in the crockpot so our dinner will be
>> ready when I get home. I found this recipe:
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/webcipes2/app/a106.html
>>
>> Now before you freak, I do not intend to make it with the chili sauce and
>> jelly. Not for me anyway... I would be more likely to do them in tomato
>> sauce.
>>
>> But... It looks like the only thing they put in those meatballs is the
>> meat and the seasonings. Could this be? I always assumed the crumbs and
>> eggs were used as a binder. But perhaps they are used as a way of
>> cheapening up the dish? Has anyone here ever made meatballs with just
>> meat? If so, were they good in texture? Did they fall apart?
>>
>> Thanks!

> I've made meatballs with just an egg as a binder. Crumbs are a filler and
> are not necessary. A little freshly grated Parmesan in the mix and some
> fresh parsley work great, too. Don't stuff them into the pot. Bive them
> enough sauce to float around in while cooking. Too many meatballs in the
> pot and they come out tough.
>
> You do need to have a bit of fat in the ground beef. Too lean and they
> fall apart. I grind my own beef from chuck roasts when they are on sale.
> That way I control the amount of fat. The texture is also a little coarser
> which is helpful when making meatballs and meatloaf without fillers.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
> Good Friends. Good Life

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> Also don't defrost ground beef in the Microwave...it makes it fall
> apart...I read that somewhere but heck if I can find it now

I never defrost meat and in most cases I try not to freeze it to begin with.
I don't like frozen food.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:53:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"W. Baker" > wrote in message
>

>> I have made them like that. that chili sauce and jelly is an old sweet
>> and sour rauce recipe that has been makign the rounds for a g azillion
>> years. I made them fo rmy daughter's 15th birthday paarty served in a
>> chafing dish with rice for a group of teenagers who just loved it and
>> thought it very elegant:-) Other vrioations use cranberry sauce, ketchup
>> or just plain tomato(not Italian type) saucelike Del Monte here in the US.
>>
>> I suppose you coul dmake it with artificially sweetened jam. I never even
>> bothered to brown thos meat balls, just boiled them in the sauce. Lead
>> pipe cinch adn great for a bunchof kids.

>I have actually NEVER had those meatballs like that. A friend told me they
>were always being brought to potlucks where he worked. He said people just
>gobbled them right up, but that he didn't like them. For as many potlucks
>as I've been to over the years, nobody has ever brought them. And it just
>doesn't sound good to me because I don't like sweet foods. But they might
>be good.
>
>I don't do artificial jams. I used to eat some strawberry stuff and thought
>it was good, until I tried the Crofters with no added sugar. That stuff
>tastes soooo good, there is no way I can ever go back to the other. I tried
>to and now it just tastes nasty to me. The only time I eat it is on a
>peanut butter sandwich and I only use a small smear of it.
>
>Might make the recipe as is for husband and daughter some day. They might
>like it.

I always brown my meatballs in the cooking pan in a little
oil first. That tends to help bind them together and they
maintain their shape in the sauce much better after that.
However, I don't mind a little breaking off and adding to
the sauce.

We use my wife's recipe for several purposes, including
meatballs and hamburger patties.

450gm(1lb) mince meat (ground beef)
1/2 onion, chopped
one egg, roughly beaten
splash of soy sauce
splash of worcestershire sauce
one teaspoon curry powder
salt, pepper, chopped herbs to taste.

Mix all ingredients. If it's a little dry, add a splash of
milk. If a little wet, add a sprinkling of breadcrumbs. Form
into balls or patties as appropriate.

We usually freeze them for use as fast food when we need
them.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Blog http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
DLife column http://tinyurl.com/6guhmr (Miracles and Wonders)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Food, Glorious Food in India)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have made delicious meatballs in a crockpot with just meat and lipton
onion soup mix and a can of chicken broth to stew then slow in.

They were denser then ones ive made with a binder.

The easiest rule of meatballs is use the same recipe you use for meatloaf.

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> If you've been following my posts over the years, you'll see that I
> haven't had much luck making meatballs from scratch. The turkey ones were
> like rubber and the ones with the coconut flour tasted good, but broke
> into pieces.
>
> Now Angela will be taking back to back dance classes this year and on
> those days I want something to make in the crockpot so our dinner will be
> ready when I get home. I found this recipe:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/webcipes2/app/a106.html
>
> Now before you freak, I do not intend to make it with the chili sauce and
> jelly. Not for me anyway... I would be more likely to do them in tomato
> sauce.
>
> But... It looks like the only thing they put in those meatballs is the
> meat and the seasonings. Could this be? I always assumed the crumbs and
> eggs were used as a binder. But perhaps they are used as a way of
> cheapening up the dish? Has anyone here ever made meatballs with just
> meat? If so, were they good in texture? Did they fall apart?
>
> Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"krom" > wrote in message
>I have made delicious meatballs in a crockpot with just meat and lipton
>onion soup mix and a can of chicken broth to stew then slow in.
>
> They were denser then ones ive made with a binder.
>
> The easiest rule of meatballs is use the same recipe you use for meatloaf.

Chicken broth? Why would you use chicken broth with beef? As for the onion
soup mix, I don't think we can use it.

My meatloaf has oatmeal in it and a lot of veggies. Wouldn't be so good for
meatballs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:36:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jacquie" > wrote in message
om...
>> Also don't defrost ground beef in the Microwave...it makes it fall
>> apart...I read that somewhere but heck if I can find it now

>I never defrost meat and in most cases I try not to freeze it to begin with.
>I don't like frozen food.

Neither do I; too hard on the teeth biting through those
frozen chops.

But seriously, why don't you like using a freezer?

I couldn't do without my freezer and the flexibility it
gives me to store meats, pre-cooked dishes and similar.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Blog http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
DLife column http://tinyurl.com/6guhmr (Miracles and Wonders)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Food, Glorious Food in India)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:36:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"jacquie" > wrote in message
>>news:_dCdnS54hOazejHVnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@earthlink. com...
>>> Also don't defrost ground beef in the Microwave...it makes it fall
>>> apart...I read that somewhere but heck if I can find it now

>>I never defrost meat and in most cases I try not to freeze it to begin
>>with.
>>I don't like frozen food.

> Neither do I; too hard on the teeth biting through those
> frozen chops.
>
> But seriously, why don't you like using a freezer?
>
> I couldn't do without my freezer and the flexibility it
> gives me to store meats, pre-cooked dishes and similar.

Stuff generally doesn't taste good to me when it is frozen. There are a few
exceptions. But in generally I don't like eating leftovers. I sometimes
have to put meat in the freezer if I didn't use it fast enough, but that
almost guarantees that it will never get eaten and I will be throwing it
out, a year or so from now when I find it all frostbitten and bad looking.

I do have allergen free chicken nuggets that come frozen and I eat them for
lunch most days. I'm not thrilled with them but I can make them quickly and
they don't make me sick. For a while I had frozen individual servings of
taco meat that I used for taco salads, but I can no longer eat those.

Perhaps my dislike of frozen foods came from the month of spaghetti. I was
living in my first apartment and going through a very tough time
financially. I can't remember the exact set of circumstances now, but I had
very little money for food. I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce (no meat
or cheese) and mixed it with a large package of cooked spaghetti. I then
portioned this up in the myriad of Tupperware and the like that had been
left there by assorted roommates.

Every day, I took spaghetti to lunch at work because there was a microwave
there. I didn't have one at home and had no way of reheating it. I
remember wanting to cry when a coworker said to me, "You sure must like
spaghetti!" I think I ate that for a month and not much else.

Husband will not eat anything that has been frozen. Daughter is not too
keen on it, demanding fresh food and I just prefer fresh food.

Now I suppose if we lived in some part of the country where we got snowed
in, I might think differently. But since I go to the store every couple of
days, there is no reason for us not to have fresh food all the time. And I
don't consider the freezer to be fresh.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:50:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:36:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>"jacquie" > wrote in message
>>>news:_dCdnS54hOazejHVnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@earthlink .com...
>>>
>>>I never defrost meat and in most cases I try not to freeze it to begin
>>>with.
>>>I don't like frozen food.

>> Neither do I; too hard on the teeth biting through those
>> frozen chops.
>>
>> But seriously, why don't you like using a freezer?
>>
>> I couldn't do without my freezer and the flexibility it
>> gives me to store meats, pre-cooked dishes and similar.

>Stuff generally doesn't taste good to me when it is frozen. There are a few
>exceptions. But in generally I don't like eating leftovers. I sometimes
>have to put meat in the freezer if I didn't use it fast enough, but that
>almost guarantees that it will never get eaten and I will be throwing it
>out, a year or so from now when I find it all frostbitten and bad looking.
>
>I do have allergen free chicken nuggets that come frozen and I eat them for
>lunch most days. I'm not thrilled with them but I can make them quickly and
>they don't make me sick. For a while I had frozen individual servings of
>taco meat that I used for taco salads, but I can no longer eat those.
>
>Perhaps my dislike of frozen foods came from the month of spaghetti. I was
>living in my first apartment and going through a very tough time
>financially. I can't remember the exact set of circumstances now, but I had
>very little money for food. I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce (no meat
>or cheese) and mixed it with a large package of cooked spaghetti. I then
>portioned this up in the myriad of Tupperware and the like that had been
>left there by assorted roommates.
>
>Every day, I took spaghetti to lunch at work because there was a microwave
>there. I didn't have one at home and had no way of reheating it. I
>remember wanting to cry when a coworker said to me, "You sure must like
>spaghetti!" I think I ate that for a month and not much else.
>
>Husband will not eat anything that has been frozen. Daughter is not too
>keen on it, demanding fresh food and I just prefer fresh food.
>
>Now I suppose if we lived in some part of the country where we got snowed
>in, I might think differently. But since I go to the store every couple of
>days, there is no reason for us not to have fresh food all the time. And I
>don't consider the freezer to be fresh.

Different strokes.

I think you'll get a surprise if you check how much of your
fresh meat, fish and groceries were frozen before they
appeared thawed and "fresh" in your store.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Blog http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
DLife column http://tinyurl.com/6guhmr (Miracles and Wonders)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Food, Glorious Food in India)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

cause it tastes good

lol

Like emril says "maybe yer water comes flavored but mine dont" so i use
broth instead of water

KROM

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "krom" > wrote in message
>>I have made delicious meatballs in a crockpot with just meat and lipton
>>onion soup mix and a can of chicken broth to stew then slow in.
>>
>> They were denser then ones ive made with a binder.
>>
>> The easiest rule of meatballs is use the same recipe you use for
>> meatloaf.

> Chicken broth? Why would you use chicken broth with beef? As for the
> onion soup mix, I don't think we can use it.
>
> My meatloaf has oatmeal in it and a lot of veggies. Wouldn't be so good
> for meatballs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message

> I think you'll get a surprise if you check how much of your
> fresh meat, fish and groceries were frozen before they
> appeared thawed and "fresh" in your store.

Nope! I buy only fresh, organic foods. If meat was frozen, it would have
to have a sticker on it saying it was previously frozen. The only fish I
buy is tuna in a pouch. And I would certainly know if my produce was
frozen. It comes to me straight from the farm each week, in a box.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I love my big freezer. I also have a food vacuum that keeps food from being
frostbit. I buy large quantities of meat and separate them into the bags
vacuum and seal. That's one way to get meat at a cheaper price usually.
Sometimes when there is a sale on meat I will buy a bunch and vacuum and
seal. I would love to buy a quarter or side of grass fed beef ..but still
looking for grass fed beef in my area When I make stew I always make to
much...from the days when the kids were still home...so I freeze it ...same
with chili . I don't know what I would do without my freezer
"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 00:50:23 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Alan S" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:36:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Neither do I; too hard on the teeth biting through those
>>> frozen chops.
>>>
>>> But seriously, why don't you like using a freezer?
>>>
>>> I couldn't do without my freezer and the flexibility it
>>> gives me to store meats, pre-cooked dishes and similar.

>>Stuff generally doesn't taste good to me when it is frozen. There are a
>>few
>>exceptions. But in generally I don't like eating leftovers. I sometimes
>>have to put meat in the freezer if I didn't use it fast enough, but that
>>almost guarantees that it will never get eaten and I will be throwing it
>>out, a year or so from now when I find it all frostbitten and bad looking.
>>
>>I do have allergen free chicken nuggets that come frozen and I eat them
>>for
>>lunch most days. I'm not thrilled with them but I can make them quickly
>>and
>>they don't make me sick. For a while I had frozen individual servings of
>>taco meat that I used for taco salads, but I can no longer eat those.
>>
>>Perhaps my dislike of frozen foods came from the month of spaghetti. I
>>was
>>living in my first apartment and going through a very tough time
>>financially. I can't remember the exact set of circumstances now, but I
>>had
>>very little money for food. I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce (no meat
>>or cheese) and mixed it with a large package of cooked spaghetti. I then
>>portioned this up in the myriad of Tupperware and the like that had been
>>left there by assorted roommates.
>>
>>Every day, I took spaghetti to lunch at work because there was a microwave
>>there. I didn't have one at home and had no way of reheating it. I
>>remember wanting to cry when a coworker said to me, "You sure must like
>>spaghetti!" I think I ate that for a month and not much else.
>>
>>Husband will not eat anything that has been frozen. Daughter is not too
>>keen on it, demanding fresh food and I just prefer fresh food.
>>
>>Now I suppose if we lived in some part of the country where we got snowed
>>in, I might think differently. But since I go to the store every couple
>>of
>>days, there is no reason for us not to have fresh food all the time. And
>>don't consider the freezer to be fresh.
>>

> Different strokes.
>
> I think you'll get a surprise if you check how much of your
> fresh meat, fish and groceries were frozen before they
> appeared thawed and "fresh" in your store.
>

> Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
> --
> Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.
> Blog http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
> DLife column http://tinyurl.com/6guhmr (Miracles and Wonders)
> http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Food, Glorious Food in India)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
>I love my big freezer. I also have a food vacuum that keeps food from being
>frostbit. I buy large quantities of meat and separate them into the bags
>vacuum and seal. That's one way to get meat at a cheaper price usually.
>Sometimes when there is a sale on meat I will buy a bunch and vacuum and
>seal. I would love to buy a quarter or side of grass fed beef ..but still
>looking for grass fed beef in my area When I make stew I always make to
>much...from the days when the kids were still home...so I freeze it ...same
>with chili . I don't know what I would do without my freezer

I remember the horrible year we had the big freezer in the basement. My
parent's friends loaned it to them while they were out of town.

They bought a side of beef and it was really bad meat. Tough and fatty.
All sorts of strange cuts we wouldn't normally eat.

Then there were the strawberries and raspberries that we picked. I remember
all the cursing as we hulled them all. They also bought one huge container
of them already cleaned that had been sugared. *cringe* Strawberries are
not a favorite, but I can't stand them with sugar on them.

Then the apples. We went to Eastern Washington and came back with a case of
apples that were cooked into sauce.

All the freezer cartons! We didn't have good plastic bags in those days. I
remember counting the containers and there were over 300 of them.

In the end, my parents said they didn't save any money. The freezer cost
too much money to run. And we were stuck eating food we didn't like,
because we couldn't afford to throw it out and buy more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
"jacquie" > wrote:

> I love my big freezer. I also have a food vacuum that keeps food from being
> frostbit. I buy large quantities of meat and separate them into the bags
> vacuum and seal. That's one way to get meat at a cheaper price usually.
> Sometimes when there is a sale on meat I will buy a bunch and vacuum and
> seal. I would love to buy a quarter or side of grass fed beef ..but still
> looking for grass fed beef in my area When I make stew I always make to
> much...from the days when the kids were still home...so I freeze it ...same
> with chili . I don't know what I would do without my freezer

I buy grass-fed and have it shipped. Grass-fed beef from La Cense and
grass-fed buffalo from Buffalo Gal. I never buy beef at the supermarket
any more. Buffalo Gal also has fabulous "wild boar" which is really
free-range pig, I think, but only limited cuts. The best bacon I've
ever eaten, however, and the sausage is fab.

I probably eat less beef now, but the quality and flavor are
outstanding. If I had room in my freezer, I'd buy half a lamb from a
local farmer. I may still try to do that.

PP, T2

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

My freezer is new enough that it doesn't use as much energy as the old ones
did. My Dad used to buy a calf every year and would put it on a friends
land, until it was about a year old, then he would have it barned and fed
corn for like a month or two, have it butchered and freezer wrapped. We
didn't have a freezer, but we had an old fridge ,that he turned into a
freezer, our meat was great. I think it depends on the butcher. The one we
had followed my Mothers directions to the tee....Heaven help him if he
didn't...LOL. She used to make pasties around Christmas time and freeze
them....then on days she baked and didn't have time to cook a big dinner she
would pop some pasties in the oven and serve with a salad...or home made
soup that she also had frozen. Those were the good ole days...LOL.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>>I love my big freezer. I also have a food vacuum that keeps food from
>>being frostbit. I buy large quantities of meat and separate them into the
>>bags vacuum and seal. That's one way to get meat at a cheaper price
>>usually. Sometimes when there is a sale on meat I will buy a bunch and
>>vacuum and seal. I would love to buy a quarter or side of grass fed beef
>>..but still looking for grass fed beef in my area When I make stew I
>>always make to much...from the days when the kids were still home...so I
>>freeze it ...same with chili . I don't know what I would do without my
>>freezer

> I remember the horrible year we had the big freezer in the basement. My
> parent's friends loaned it to them while they were out of town.
>
> They bought a side of beef and it was really bad meat. Tough and fatty.
> All sorts of strange cuts we wouldn't normally eat.
>
> Then there were the strawberries and raspberries that we picked. I
> remember all the cursing as we hulled them all. They also bought one huge
> container of them already cleaned that had been sugared. *cringe*
> Strawberries are not a favorite, but I can't stand them with sugar on
> them.
>
> Then the apples. We went to Eastern Washington and came back with a case
> of apples that were cooked into sauce.
>
> All the freezer cartons! We didn't have good plastic bags in those days.
> I remember counting the containers and there were over 300 of them.
>
> In the end, my parents said they didn't save any money. The freezer cost
> too much money to run. And we were stuck eating food we didn't like,
> because we couldn't afford to throw it out and buy more.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:58:48 -0700, "jacquie"
> wrote:

>I love my big freezer. I also have a food vacuum that keeps food from being
>frostbit. I buy large quantities of meat and separate them into the bags
>vacuum and seal. That's one way to get meat at a cheaper price usually.
>Sometimes when there is a sale on meat I will buy a bunch and vacuum and
>seal. I would love to buy a quarter or side of grass fed beef ..but still
>looking for grass fed beef in my area When I make stew I always make to
>much...from the days when the kids were still home...so I freeze it ...same
>with chili . I don't know what I would do without my freezer

Me either; it saves me a fortune and is wonderfully
convenient. An hour of preparation and packing of meats when
I get home from the butcher or fishmonger gives fresh (yes,
I call it fresh, I defy anyone to pick the difference with
our meat) meat and fish for weeks; one or two Saturday
afternoons cooking soups, stews, casseroles and similar
provide meals for a month that take a few minutes to
re-heat.

I forgot when I replied to Julie that I wrote about it a
little while ago:
http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...g-healthy.html

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Blog http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
DLife column http://tinyurl.com/6guhmr (Miracles and Wonders)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Food, Glorious Food in India)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 14:14:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jacquie" > wrote in message
om...
>>I love my big freezer. I also have a food vacuum that keeps food from being
>>frostbit. I buy large quantities of meat and separate them into the bags
>>vacuum and seal. That's one way to get meat at a cheaper price usually.
>>Sometimes when there is a sale on meat I will buy a bunch and vacuum and
>>seal. I would love to buy a quarter or side of grass fed beef ..but still
>>looking for grass fed beef in my area When I make stew I always make to
>>much...from the days when the kids were still home...so I freeze it ...same
>>with chili . I don't know what I would do without my freezer

>I remember the horrible year we had the big freezer in the basement. My
>parent's friends loaned it to them while they were out of town.
>
>They bought a side of beef and it was really bad meat. Tough and fatty.
>All sorts of strange cuts we wouldn't normally eat.
>
>Then there were the strawberries and raspberries that we picked. I remember
>all the cursing as we hulled them all. They also bought one huge container
>of them already cleaned that had been sugared. *cringe* Strawberries are
>not a favorite, but I can't stand them with sugar on them.
>
>Then the apples. We went to Eastern Washington and came back with a case of
>apples that were cooked into sauce.
>
>All the freezer cartons! We didn't have good plastic bags in those days. I
>remember counting the containers and there were over 300 of them.
>
>In the end, my parents said they didn't save any money. The freezer cost
>too much money to run. And we were stuck eating food we didn't like,
>because we couldn't afford to throw it out and buy more.

Sometimes Julie, you need to forget the past when good ideas
were spoiled by bad execution, and start again with a fresh
slate.

Your problems weren't the result of the concept of using a
freezer. They were caused by poor choices of things to put
in the freezer and poor methods of using the freezer.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Blog http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
DLife column http://tinyurl.com/6guhmr (Miracles and Wonders)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Food, Glorious Food in India)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:58:48 -0700, "jacquie"
> > wrote:
>
>>I love my big freezer. I also have a food vacuum that keeps food from
>>being
>>frostbit. I buy large quantities of meat and separate them into the bags
>>vacuum and seal. That's one way to get meat at a cheaper price usually.
>>Sometimes when there is a sale on meat I will buy a bunch and vacuum and
>>seal. I would love to buy a quarter or side of grass fed beef ..but still
>>looking for grass fed beef in my area When I make stew I always make to
>>much...from the days when the kids were still home...so I freeze it
>>...same
>>with chili . I don't know what I would do without my freezer

> Me either; it saves me a fortune and is wonderfully
> convenient. An hour of preparation and packing of meats when
> I get home from the butcher or fishmonger gives fresh (yes,
> I call it fresh, I defy anyone to pick the difference with
> our meat) meat and fish for weeks; one or two Saturday
> afternoons cooking soups, stews, casseroles and similar
> provide meals for a month that take a few minutes to
> re-heat.
>
> I forgot when I replied to Julie that I wrote about it a
> little while ago:
> http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/20...g-healthy.html

Price generally does not enter into it when I buy food. I do get my organic
box of produce most weeks. Didn't get one this week because there was too
much in it we just wouldn't eat. I get some produce at Costco as well as
some canned goods, meats, paper products, etc. Just stocked up on canned
goods at Big Lots last week. Although I prefer to eat organic, I will buy
some non-organic canned goods. Angela prefers canned vegetables and they
are what I grew up on when we didn't have fresh from our garden. I am
saving money on these things. I don't worry about it otherwise. I no
longer have to watch every penny like I did when I was younger.

I have three crockpots in various sizes and aim to get an even larger one
for Christmas. Those to me (and my Bigmouth food processor) are the biggest
time saving things in my kitchen.

We get salad bar and takeout food about once a week from Central Market. I
only get the salad for myself. But from the takeout we get grilled salmon,
grilled vegetables, grilled chicken, lamb kebabs, roasted potatoes, falafel
or plain white or wild rice.

I live in an area where healthy food is BIG! There are some fast food
places, but I sometimes wonder how they stay in business. We once stopped
into a McDonalds off of a very busy road to get a toy for Angela. Just a
toy that she saw on TV. There was not a soul in the place and this was at
5:00 p.m. on a Friday night. You'd think they would be hopping. BTW, we
didn't get the toy. They didn't have the one advertised on TV.

We dine out 2-4 times a week depending on what is going on. My mother does
not like to cook so when we go over there on the weekend we usually have two
meals out in one day. Many of those meals are Mexican, prepared specially
for us. We sometimes go to the Old Country Buffet. This works well for us
because we can get salad and some plain foods that we are not allergic to.
The number of restaurants where we can dine is very limited. Mostly we
avoid chains that have a lot of prepared foods. Yes, I know Old Country
Buffet has a lot of prepared foods, but they also have plain baked potatoes,
melon, vegetables, plain meats, etc.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message

> Sometimes Julie, you need to forget the past when good ideas
> were spoiled by bad execution, and start again with a fresh
> slate.

No can do. I'm a Cancer. We live in the past.

> Your problems weren't the result of the concept of using a
> freezer. They were caused by poor choices of things to put
> in the freezer and poor methods of using the freezer.

I still don't like freezers. Frozen salad is just nasty IMO.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

You can freeze salad? I didn't know that
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>

>> Sometimes Julie, you need to forget the past when good ideas
>> were spoiled by bad execution, and start again with a fresh
>> slate.

> No can do. I'm a Cancer. We live in the past.
>>
>> Your problems weren't the result of the concept of using a
>> freezer. They were caused by poor choices of things to put
>> in the freezer and poor methods of using the freezer.

> I still don't like freezers. Frozen salad is just nasty IMO.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:14:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Alan S" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Sometimes Julie, you need to forget the past when good ideas
>> were spoiled by bad execution, and start again with a fresh
>> slate.

>No can do. I'm a Cancer. We live in the past.

I missed the smilie. At least I hope I did - I really hope
you aren't serious.

I'm a Pisces; I know that because I took the trouble to
check while laughing out loud at horoscopes many years ago
when I first discovered them, before promptly consigning
them to the same place as fairy tales and the tooth fairy,
in Primary School.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Blog http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com
DLife column http://tinyurl.com/6guhmr (Miracles and Wonders)
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com (Food, Glorious Food in India)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> You can freeze salad? I didn't know that

You could in my old refrigerator.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alan S" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:14:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Alan S" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Sometimes Julie, you need to forget the past when good ideas
>>> were spoiled by bad execution, and start again with a fresh
>>> slate.

>>No can do. I'm a Cancer. We live in the past.

> I missed the smilie. At least I hope I did - I really hope
> you aren't serious.

There was no smile. And yes, I was serious. I really dislike being told
what to do.

> I'm a Pisces; I know that because I took the trouble to
> check while laughing out loud at horoscopes many years ago
> when I first discovered them, before promptly consigning
> them to the same place as fairy tales and the tooth fairy,
> in Primary School.

Whatever.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Alan S" > wrote in message
>
>> Sometimes Julie, you need to forget the past when good ideas
>> were spoiled by bad execution, and start again with a fresh
>> slate.

> No can do. I'm a Cancer. We live in the past.
>> Your problems weren't the result of the concept of using a
>> freezer. They were caused by poor choices of things to put
>> in the freezer and poor methods of using the freezer.

> I still don't like freezers. Frozen salad is just nasty IMO.

Who would freeze salad? A little bit of common sense goes a long way
with a freezer.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Alan S > wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:14:25 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> >"Alan S" > wrote in message

> >> Sometimes Julie, you need to forget the past when good ideas
> >> were spoiled by bad execution, and start again with a fresh
> >> slate.

> >No can do. I'm a Cancer. We live in the past.

> I missed the smilie. At least I hope I did - I really hope
> you aren't serious.
>
> I'm a Pisces; I know that because I took the trouble to
> check while laughing out loud at horoscopes many years ago
> when I first discovered them, before promptly consigning
> them to the same place as fairy tales and the tooth fairy,
> in Primary School.

I'm not "a Taurus." I was, however, born under the sign of Taurus.

"Look not to the Stars for the source of thy discontent, but within!"

That not withstanding, I do have my Natal Chart in my word processor.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article > ,
"jacquie" > wrote:

> You can freeze salad? I didn't know that

I think the point was that yes, you can, but you don't want to eat the
result.

PP, T2
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Our fridge broke down last week...something about a defrost timer. So had to
scrunch my fridge food into my soda fridge on the back porch...I put my
green onions to close to the bottom of the little top freezer...they became
frozen...they got a bit soggy when they thawed out. The big fridge is now
fixed..thank goodness
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "jacquie" > wrote in message
> m...
>> You can freeze salad? I didn't know that

> You could in my old refrigerator.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"jacquie" > wrote in message
m...
> Our fridge broke down last week...something about a defrost timer. So had
> to scrunch my fridge food into my soda fridge on the back porch...I put my
> green onions to close to the bottom of the little top freezer...they
> became frozen...they got a bit soggy when they thawed out. The big fridge
> is now fixed..thank goodness

I hated our old one. It was a very poor design. So I got a new one. It
had a meat drawer at the bottom that we had little use for. In this house
we eat a lot more vegetables than we do meat. Alas, meat was about the only
thing you could put in there. Maybe cheese. It got too cold and if you put
any veggies in there they would freeze. I didn't notice that meat froze but
the veggies sure did.

The other really bad thing was the shelves in the door would fly out at
whim. I lost more food that way. Tops of bottles snapping off or bags
bursting as they hit the floor.

When we were shopping for refrigerators, Angela went around trying to knock
the door shelves out. Amazingly, there were still some being made with the
bad shelves like ours.

I love our new one. It is designed very well.

What to do with these Meatballs? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 52 29-10-2016 05:36 PM
Best meatballs ever Ozgirl Diabetic 12 02-10-2008 11:48 AM
The Best Meatballs Ever Kat[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 21-11-2007 11:11 PM
Tonight's dinner: REC: Swedish Meatballs (Smorgasbord Meatballs) Mash General Cooking 0 31-03-2005 03:53 AM
Meatballs John Gaughan General Cooking 8 07-10-2003 04:08 PM