Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Nick Cramer Nick Cramer is offline

Default Help with meatballs

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> If you've been following my posts over the years, you'll see that I
> haven't had much luck making meatballs from scratch. The turkey ones
> were like rubber and the ones with the coconut flour tasted good, but
> broke into pieces.
>
> Now Angela will be taking back to back dance classes this year and on
> those days I want something to make in the crockpot so our dinner will be
> ready when I get home. I found this recipe:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/webcipes2/app/a106.html
>
> Now before you freak, I do not intend to make it with the chili sauce and
> jelly. Not for me anyway... I would be more likely to do them in tomato
> sauce.
>
> But... It looks like the only thing they put in those meatballs is the
> meat and the seasonings. Could this be? I always assumed the crumbs and
> eggs were used as a binder. But perhaps they are used as a way of
> cheapening up the dish? Has anyone here ever made meatballs with just
> meat? If so, were they good in texture? Did they fall apart?

Sicilian Meatballs -- Baduzzi a Broru -- Meatballs in Broth.

INGREDIENTS:

For the meatballs:

1-1/4 pounds ground beef (not too lean, I'd suggest chuck)
2 eggs
3 ounces pecorino pepato (pecorino romano with peppercorns in it --
substitute regular romano if need be), grated
2 ounces Italian bread dipped in milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1-2 cloves garlic and a small bunch of parsley, minced
Salt & pepper to taste

For the Broth (if you don't already have broth handy):

A piece of bone with marrow
1/2 a chicken
A small onion
A small stick of celery and a carrot, tied together
2-3 plum tomatoes

PREPARATION:
Place your minced meat on your work surface and work into it the two eggs,
the bread, which should be thoroughly soaked (this is the secret to making
meatballs that are moist and tender, rather than dry and hard), the minced
herbs, the grated cheese and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Form the
mixture into meatballs (about an inch in diameter), rolling them between
your palms, and roll them lightly in bread crumbs.

They are at this point ready to be cooked in marinara sauce or broth, which
you should make by simmering the ingredients listed above for an hour or
slightly more (see instructions if need be) if you do not already have
sauce or broth handy.

**********************

Sicilian Pizza Sauce

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (San Marzano Romas)
2 teaspoons dried basil, crumbled with added puree
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
salt & fresh ground pepper
3 large garlic cloves, minced

1. Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add onion, basil and oregano; cook until onion softens slightly,
stirring occasionally, about 6 minute
3. Mix in garlic and cook 2 minutes.
4. Add tomato paste and cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer; cook until sauce is of desired
thickness.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. NOTE: Sauce can be prepared ahead. Cover and refrigerate 1 week or
freeze up to 1 month.

Ottaviana's Meatballs

Now, no sauce is complete without Meatballs. So here is my recipe for them.
And the best part is you don't fry them first!

1½ Lbs. of Ground Sirloin
1 egg
¼ cup of Bread Crumbs (unseasoned style)
1 tsp. dried Parsley flakes
2 tbs. Pecorino Romano
Salt to taste
(another recommendation is to substitute the bread crumbs for French bread.
A stale piece of French bread soaked in some water and excess water
squeezed out. Then break up in little pieces).

Mix everything together well, and roll into balls about the size of a golf
ball, (or smaller if you prefer). Drop into sauce. That's right, just roll
and drop! Let cook with the sauce for the same amount of time it takes
sauce to cook.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.