Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Downsizing toasters, a return to deeper bread holders or larger toaster bodies

On Mon 18 Aug 2008 05:24:11p, Dee Dee told us...

> On Aug 18, 2:09*pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > Either the bread has gotten larger (which I doubt) or the toaster
>> > manufactures have been downsizing the toasters over the years. I've
>> > replace mine twice now and I still find part of the bread shows over
>> > the toaster top and doesn't get toasted. In an age of conserving
>> > energy, having to flip the bread around and toast it a second time
>> > doesn't make 'cents'.

>> Never had to do that with normal sized white bread, only for larger

loave
>> s of Italian or other similar styles. *Do you have a good brand of hte

$7
>> made in China from Wal Mart? *Well, most all are made in China except

the
>> ve ry expensive Dualit from England.

> Really Fun reading the Dualit reviews on Amazon. One 5* review says
> this:
>
> "I love the fact that operates completely different than any other
> toaster out there. It's best to preheat it - but once you do you can
> put in pieces of bread one right after another with consistant
> results. None of the problems you have w/American toasters when they
> get heated where the first piece is perfect, the next is too light,
> and the next comes out more like a piece of bread and so on."
>

> The Cusinart toaster I own is supposed to do this, and does to a
> certain degree; but after 4 pieces of toast (two 2x), it always has
> seemed to forget and the 3rd go-round comes out burnt at the same
> setting.
>
> a 1* review says this:
> First of all, you MUST preheat it for a couple of minutes or it will
> not toast.
>

> I don't think I could abide the preheating a toaster either. I guess
> I'll deal with the one I have now,
>
> To the OP, concern about money vs. time when toasting and it doesn't
> toast the whole part of the bread:
> I do the same thing with bread I buy, but I just cut off the less
> toasted for DH, he doesn't mind. But I like mine heavily toasted.
>
> Another thingie: cut your bread to shape, put the edges in a bag for
> crutons or breadcrumbs.
>
> Sometimes if the bread (I make my own usually) has harder crust, cut
> it off before toasting, which will make your piece more useable.
>
> All these things are time consuming, but do not cost you 'cents.'
>
> Dee Dee

But having to do all these things is a royal PITA. We have a "commercial"
Hamilton Beach 4-slice toaster, and it's consistent from first slice to
last.

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
1wks 6dys 6hrs 14mins