usual suspect

Default Mercury Toxicity and Vegetarian Diet

ta wrote:

>>>Thanks for clarifying. That's true, sulphur chelates mercury, but so

> does
>
>>>DMSA and vitamin C. Why wouldn't these chelating agents be sufficient?

> As to
>
>>>zinc, why wouldn't vegetarian sources of zinc suffice?

>>Because vegetarian sources of zinc are high in phytates. Phytates bind and

> tie
>
>>up zinc and nonheme iron, preventing absorption and assimilation of both.

> Just
>
>>adding a little bit of meat to the diet increases absorption of both those

> minerals.
>
>>The following study found that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth

> of a
>
>>pound) of pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on

> 50g
>
>>and 75g trials).
>>http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

> Interesting about zinc, thanks - I was just reading something to that effect
> (although my recent blood tests indicate zinc levels are aok). Also,
> increasing zinc supplementation should increase the level of absorbtion:
>
> "Vegetarians may need as much as 50% more zinc than non-vegetarians because
> of the lower absorption of zinc from plant foods, so it is very important
> for vegetarians to include good sources of zinc in their diet (2, 21)."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2vlwl
>
> In addition to the zinc in my diet, I already supplement with colloidal
> minerals (which includes zinc) and vegetarian zinc tablets.
>
> Regarding pork, Dr. Huggins and Dr. Pinto recommend avoiding pork
> altogether, due to its negative effects on the red blood cells in mercury
> toxic patients:
>
> "Dr. Olympio Pinto had recorded on videotape the changes in live red blood
> cells caused by eating pork, smoking cigarettes, drinking caffeine, and
> other potentially destructive habits. Of particular interest to me was the
> profound reaction of a patient one hour after he ate the pork. I noted that
> more than half of his red blood cells were then what are termed "ghosts".
> Ghosts are red cells that have lost their hemoglobin."
> (p.106, "It's All in Your Head").

I wouldn't be too worried about the anecdotes provided by Dr Huggins, who is a
dentist by profession. Pinto has ties to the Weston Price people. I would
dismiss him on that basis alone. As for the anecdote conveyed in your quote, you
might be surprised at the body's reactions to digesting various other foods, not
to mention the affects of exercise and vigorous activity. I'd be more concerned
about your personal trends in blood work, maintaining a healthy weight, and
staying physically active. Too much of anything is bad -- and that includes
stress from nitpicking over minor issues and losing sight of the major ones.