ta

Default Mercury Toxicity and Vegetarian Diet

Dr. Hal Huggins claims that a vegetarian/vegan diet is counterproductive to
recovering from mercury toxicity as a result of poisoning from dental
amalgams. Specifically, he says:

"For those who are strict vegetarians, I must let you know that your
progress may be extremely slow, if you progress at all. I strongly
reccommend that you discontinue vegetarianism during your treatment period
in order to allow the protein fractions in the blood serum to reach a good
level. This can be done with eggs and turkey if you prefer to avoid red
meats. In nineteen years of treating mercury-toxic patients, I have never
been able to help anyone on a vegetarian diet. When people are in good
health, they can maintain it on this diet, but for some reason unknown to me
they cannot heal from mercury toxicity." (p.140, "It's All in Your Head").

I have two questions:

1. Does anyone know of any scientific studies to verify that Huggins' claim
is true.
2. Has anyone personally either failed or succeeded in recovering from
mercury toxicity on a veg*n diet?

Thanks very much for any input.

Bracken

I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low on sulphur
and zinc

ta

"Bracken" > wrote in message
> I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low on

sulphur
> and zinc

Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

John Coleman

"Bracken" > wrote in message
> I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low on

sulphur
> and zinc

sure, it's the aminos with sulphur that can probably help

John C

Bracken

ta wrote:

> "Bracken" > wrote in message
> > I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low on

> sulphur
> > and zinc
> >

> Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

sulphur chelates mercury, and the body needs zinc to produce metal-binding
proteins.

ta

Bracken wrote:
> ta wrote:
>
>> "Bracken" > wrote in message
>>> I think it is because a vegetarian diet is probably going to be low
>>> on sulphur and zinc
>>>

>> Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

> sulphur chelates mercury, and the body needs zinc to produce
> metal-binding proteins.

Thanks for clarifying. That's true, sulphur chelates mercury, but so does
DMSA and vitamin C. Why wouldn't these chelating agents be sufficient? As to
zinc, why wouldn't vegetarian sources of zinc suffice?

usual suspect

ta wrote:

>>>Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

>>sulphur chelates mercury, and the body needs zinc to produce
>>metal-binding proteins.

> Thanks for clarifying. That's true, sulphur chelates mercury, but so does
> DMSA and vitamin C. Why wouldn't these chelating agents be sufficient? As to
> zinc, why wouldn't vegetarian sources of zinc suffice?

Because vegetarian sources of zinc are high in phytates. Phytates bind and tie
up zinc and nonheme iron, preventing absorption and assimilation of both. Just
adding a little bit of meat to the diet increases absorption of both those minerals.

The following study found that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth of a
pound) of pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on 50g
and 75g trials).
http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

ta

"usual suspect" > wrote in message

> >>sulphur chelates mercury, and the body needs zinc to produce
> >>metal-binding proteins.

> > Thanks for clarifying. That's true, sulphur chelates mercury, but so

does
> > DMSA and vitamin C. Why wouldn't these chelating agents be sufficient?

As to
> > zinc, why wouldn't vegetarian sources of zinc suffice?

> Because vegetarian sources of zinc are high in phytates. Phytates bind and

tie
> up zinc and nonheme iron, preventing absorption and assimilation of both.

Just
> adding a little bit of meat to the diet increases absorption of both those

minerals.

> The following study found that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth

of a
> pound) of pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on

50g
> and 75g trials).
> http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

Interesting about zinc, thanks - I was just reading something to that effect
(although my recent blood tests indicate zinc levels are aok). Also,
increasing zinc supplementation should increase the level of absorbtion:

"Vegetarians may need as much as 50% more zinc than non-vegetarians because
of the lower absorption of zinc from plant foods, so it is very important
for vegetarians to include good sources of zinc in their diet (2, 21)."

http://tinyurl.com/2vlwl

In addition to the zinc in my diet, I already supplement with colloidal
minerals (which includes zinc) and vegetarian zinc tablets.

Regarding pork, Dr. Huggins and Dr. Pinto recommend avoiding pork
altogether, due to its negative effects on the red blood cells in mercury
toxic patients:

"Dr. Olympio Pinto had recorded on videotape the changes in live red blood
cells caused by eating pork, smoking cigarettes, drinking caffeine, and
other potentially destructive habits. Of particular interest to me was the
profound reaction of a patient one hour after he ate the pork. I noted that
more than half of his red blood cells were then what are termed "ghosts".
Ghosts are red cells that have lost their hemoglobin."
(p.106, "It's All in Your Head").

usual suspect

ta wrote:

>>>Thanks for clarifying. That's true, sulphur chelates mercury, but so

> does
>
>>>DMSA and vitamin C. Why wouldn't these chelating agents be sufficient?

> As to
>
>>>zinc, why wouldn't vegetarian sources of zinc suffice?

>>Because vegetarian sources of zinc are high in phytates. Phytates bind and

> tie
>
>>up zinc and nonheme iron, preventing absorption and assimilation of both.

> Just
>
>>adding a little bit of meat to the diet increases absorption of both those

> minerals.
>
>>The following study found that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth

> of a
>
>>pound) of pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on

> 50g
>
>>and 75g trials).
>>http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

> Interesting about zinc, thanks - I was just reading something to that effect
> (although my recent blood tests indicate zinc levels are aok). Also,
> increasing zinc supplementation should increase the level of absorbtion:
>
> "Vegetarians may need as much as 50% more zinc than non-vegetarians because
> of the lower absorption of zinc from plant foods, so it is very important
> for vegetarians to include good sources of zinc in their diet (2, 21)."
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2vlwl
>
> In addition to the zinc in my diet, I already supplement with colloidal
> minerals (which includes zinc) and vegetarian zinc tablets.
>
> Regarding pork, Dr. Huggins and Dr. Pinto recommend avoiding pork
> altogether, due to its negative effects on the red blood cells in mercury
> toxic patients:
>
> "Dr. Olympio Pinto had recorded on videotape the changes in live red blood
> cells caused by eating pork, smoking cigarettes, drinking caffeine, and
> other potentially destructive habits. Of particular interest to me was the
> profound reaction of a patient one hour after he ate the pork. I noted that
> more than half of his red blood cells were then what are termed "ghosts".
> Ghosts are red cells that have lost their hemoglobin."
> (p.106, "It's All in Your Head").

I wouldn't be too worried about the anecdotes provided by Dr Huggins, who is a
dentist by profession. Pinto has ties to the Weston Price people. I would
dismiss him on that basis alone. As for the anecdote conveyed in your quote, you
might be surprised at the body's reactions to digesting various other foods, not
to mention the affects of exercise and vigorous activity. I'd be more concerned
about your personal trends in blood work, maintaining a healthy weight, and
staying physically active. Too much of anything is bad -- and that includes
stress from nitpicking over minor issues and losing sight of the major ones.

ta

usual suspect wrote:

>> does

>> As to

>>> Because vegetarian sources of zinc are high in phytates. Phytates
>>> bind and

>> tie
>>
>>> up zinc and nonheme iron, preventing absorption and assimilation of
>>> both.

>> Just
>>
>>> adding a little bit of meat to the diet increases absorption of
>>> both those

>> minerals.
>>
>>> The following study found that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an
>>> eighth

>> of a
>>
>>> pound) of pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57%
>>> (respectively on

>> 50g
>>
>>> and 75g trials).
>>> http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

>> Interesting about zinc, thanks - I was just reading something to
>> that effect (although my recent blood tests indicate zinc levels are
>> aok). Also, increasing zinc supplementation should increase the
>> level of absorbtion:
>>
>> "Vegetarians may need as much as 50% more zinc than non-vegetarians
>> because of the lower absorption of zinc from plant foods, so it is
>> very important for vegetarians to include good sources of zinc in
>> their diet (2, 21)."
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2vlwl
>>
>> In addition to the zinc in my diet, I already supplement with
>> colloidal minerals (which includes zinc) and vegetarian zinc tablets.
>>
>> Regarding pork, Dr. Huggins and Dr. Pinto recommend avoiding pork
>> altogether, due to its negative effects on the red blood cells in
>> mercury toxic patients:
>>
>> "Dr. Olympio Pinto had recorded on videotape the changes in live red
>> blood cells caused by eating pork, smoking cigarettes, drinking
>> caffeine, and other potentially destructive habits. Of particular
>> interest to me was the profound reaction of a patient one hour after
>> he ate the pork. I noted that more than half of his red blood cells
>> were then what are termed "ghosts". Ghosts are red cells that have
>> lost their hemoglobin." (p.106, "It's All in Your Head").

> I wouldn't be too worried about the anecdotes provided by Dr Huggins,
> who is a dentist by profession.

If I'm going to ignore all anecdotal evidence, then should I also ignore his
comments about vegetarian diets and mercury toxicity?:

"For those who are strict vegetarians, I must let you know that your
progress may be extremely slow, if you progress at all. I strongly
reccommend that you discontinue vegetarianism during your treatment period
in order to allow the protein fractions in the blood serum to reach a good
level. This can be done with eggs and turkey if you prefer to avoid red
meats. In nineteen years of treating mercury-toxic patients, I have never
been able to help anyone on a vegetarian diet. When people are in good
health, they can maintain it on this diet, but for some reason unknown to me
they cannot heal from mercury toxicity." (p.140, "It's All in Your Head").

There are no scientific studies to support this claim, as far as I know;
only anecdotal evidence.

> Pinto has ties to the Weston Price
> people. I would dismiss him on that basis alone. As for the anecdote
> conveyed in your quote, you might be surprised at the body's
> reactions to digesting various other foods, not to mention the
> affects of exercise and vigorous activity. I'd be more concerned
> about your personal trends in blood work, maintaining a healthy
> weight, and staying physically active.

The last thing an individual with mercury poisoning should do is exert
oneself physically. The blood work is definitely a key issue though, yes.

> Too much of anything is bad --
> and that includes stress from nitpicking over minor issues and losing
> sight of the major ones.

I certainly don't consider the decisions about what to put into my body
"nitpicking over minor issues". The major issue to me is how best to
recover, and that includes carefully considering my diet. And it's not
stressful, it's due diligence.

So regarding the zinc issue, there's no reason why extra supplementation of
zinc should not compensate for the lower zinc absorption rate from
non-animal sources of zinc, right?

usual suspect

ta wrote:
<...>
>>I wouldn't be too worried about the anecdotes provided by Dr Huggins,
>>who is a dentist by profession.

> If I'm going to ignore all anecdotal evidence, then should I also ignore his
> comments about vegetarian diets and mercury toxicity?:

It depends. Have you been diagnosed with mercury toxicity by a medical professional?

> "For those who are strict vegetarians, I must let you know that your
> progress may be extremely slow, if you progress at all. I strongly
> reccommend that you discontinue vegetarianism during your treatment period
> in order to allow the protein fractions in the blood serum to reach a good
> level. This can be done with eggs and turkey if you prefer to avoid red
> meats. In nineteen years of treating mercury-toxic patients, I have never
> been able to help anyone on a vegetarian diet. When people are in good
> health, they can maintain it on this diet, but for some reason unknown to me
> they cannot heal from mercury toxicity." (p.140, "It's All in Your Head").
>
> There are no scientific studies to support this claim, as far as I know;
> only anecdotal evidence.

At this point, shall I remind you of what you wrote at aaev about superstitions?

>>Pinto has ties to the Weston Price
>>people. I would dismiss him on that basis alone. As for the anecdote
>>conveyed in your quote, you might be surprised at the body's
>>reactions to digesting various other foods, not to mention the
>>affects of exercise and vigorous activity. I'd be more concerned
>>about your personal trends in blood work, maintaining a healthy
>>weight, and staying physically active.

> The last thing an individual with mercury poisoning should do is exert
> oneself physically. The blood work is definitely a key issue though, yes.

Have you had yours checked by a real doctor in a real lab? Even if you have a
chip on your shoulder about modern medicine, I would think it's a good first
step to get real information before self-diagnosing and self-treating something
that may not be wrong.

>>Too much of anything is bad --
>>and that includes stress from nitpicking over minor issues and losing
>>sight of the major ones.

> I certainly don't consider the decisions about what to put into my body
> "nitpicking over minor issues".

Oh, neither do I.

> The major issue to me is how best to
> recover, and that includes carefully considering my diet. And it's not
> stressful, it's due diligence.
>
> So regarding the zinc issue, there's no reason why extra supplementation of
> zinc should not compensate for the lower zinc absorption rate from
> non-animal sources of zinc, right?

It depends on your diet (especially phytates) and your absorption rate. If
you're not zinc deficient now, I don't see a need to go overboard. That can be
even worse since excess zinc is toxic and obstructs metabolism of iron and
copper. Everything in moderation...

Robert Dickow

"ta" > wrote in
news
> 1. Does anyone know of any scientific studies to verify that Huggins'
> claim is true.
> 2. Has anyone personally either failed or succeeded in recovering from
> mercury toxicity on a veg*n diet?

I don't know myself, but you might check this new research service that can
find out stuff like this at http://www.infomedicine.org

Bob

Beach Bachelor

Hi TA, Wondering how your mercury detox went? What methods (chelation)
did you implement? Did you stay on a vegan diet? What were you
supplements? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Anybody else out there with experience on successful mercury detox,
please respond with tips and advice. Ways to chelate and supplement
successfully? More on what to eat during detox?

Thank you much. Rob

Trying to stay mostly vegan.

--
Beach Bachelor