Vox Humana

Default Volume or cup size

"Harri85274" > wrote in message
> Most recipes call for 1 cup of flour. If I weigh it to 8 oz the same

thing? Or
> 16 tablespoons? My measuring cups have a lip on them, even the plastic

ones,
> which makes me believe they are only for liquids.

Weight is the most accurate way of measuring ingredients. However, one cup
of flour doesn't weigh 8 oz. Each ingredient has a different density and a
volume unit measure will vary in weight from one to another. Furthermore,
if you are converting a recipe you have to take into consideration if the
flour was supposed to be sifted and then measured, lightly spooned into the
cup, or the cup dipped into the container and then swept level. You can
determine the weight of ingredients by looking at the nutritional label.
For instance, one quarter cup of AP flour is consider a serving size and is
listed as 30 grams. That make one cup of AP flour equal to 120g. You can
find the weight of cooking ingredients (per cup) at this site:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl