Harri85274

Default Volume or cup size

Most recipes call for 1 cup of flour. If I weigh it to 8 oz the same thing? Or
16 tablespoons? My measuring cups have a lip on them, even the plastic ones,
which makes me believe they are only for liquids.
Vox Humana

"Harri85274" > wrote in message
> Most recipes call for 1 cup of flour. If I weigh it to 8 oz the same

thing? Or
> 16 tablespoons? My measuring cups have a lip on them, even the plastic

ones,
> which makes me believe they are only for liquids.

Weight is the most accurate way of measuring ingredients. However, one cup
of flour doesn't weigh 8 oz. Each ingredient has a different density and a
volume unit measure will vary in weight from one to another. Furthermore,
if you are converting a recipe you have to take into consideration if the
flour was supposed to be sifted and then measured, lightly spooned into the
cup, or the cup dipped into the container and then swept level. You can
determine the weight of ingredients by looking at the nutritional label.
For instance, one quarter cup of AP flour is consider a serving size and is
listed as 30 grams. That make one cup of AP flour equal to 120g. You can
find the weight of cooking ingredients (per cup) at this site:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

barry

To expand a bit.

If you fluff the flour and carefully move it into the cup, you may get a cup
of flour that weighs about 4 ounces. If you roughly spoon it into the cup,
you'll get about 5 ounces. If you scoop from a compacted bag of bread
flour, you may get as much as 6 or 7 ounces. Whole wheat flour seems to be
less variable, probably because it has enough roughage in it to make it
flow.

The King Arthur Baking book claims they use 4 1/4 ounces per cup, since this
is what they and a lot of authors have noticed seems to work.

The problem comes in the conversion. Do they take the cups and multiply by
4.25 or do they take the weight they use and convert it?

Bottom line, we should get rid of volume measurements for as many
ingredients as we can.

Barry

Volume Tom Kunich Winemaking 0 17-10-2011 02:16 AM
Buying dumpling press (big size) and warpper for that size Manda Ruby General Cooking 11 13-07-2010 02:14 AM
Right size : Prep Bowl size wff_ng_7 Cooking Equipment 1 18-05-2007 03:40 PM
Right size : Prep Bowl size pltrgyst[_1_] Cooking Equipment 2 18-05-2007 03:10 AM
Volume of must or volume of expected juice for calculating sulfite/acid/yeast needed marc Winemaking 10 02-10-2006 11:21 PM