Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Hot Red Pepper Jelly

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Jul 24, 6:09*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> > I have been meaning to give this stuff a go for some time and finally
> > got around to it today. *I downloaded a recipe, picked up some red Bell
> > peppers, some Jalapenos and Certo, washed and sterilized the bottles and
> > went at it.
> >
> > It turned out great. It has a nice taste to it and a nice hot bite. This
> > is a keeper for me. *Now that I know how good it easy and how easy it is
> > to make I won't be buying any more. It will be home made all the way.
> >
> > Hot Pepper Jelly
> > 2 to 3 small green bell peppers
> > 2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle
> > 3 to 4 hot red or green peppers
> > Certo liquid fruit pectin
> > 6 1/2 cups sugar
> > red or green food coloring (opt)
> > 1 1/2 cup cider vinegar
> >
> > Seed and coarsely chop the bell and hot peppers. Place the bell peppers
> > in a blender or food processor and puree' until liquefied. (if needed,
> > add 1 tablespoon vinegar to the pepper for easier blending). Puree the
> > hot peppers until liquefied. In a large pot, combine the 1 cup of pureed
> > peppers with the sugar and vinegar over high heat. Bring to a boil and
> > add Certo. Add food coloring (opt). Bring to a boil again and pour jelly
> > into pitcher. Pour into 1/2 pints jars and seal. Makes about 7 half pints.

> I really like jalapeņo jelly but I've never made any kind of jelly.
> Is that quantity/ratio of sugar in the normal range? -aem

It is; that's a lot of vinegar to sweeten up and that is the nature of
pepper jelly -- sweet-sour and hot. And the peppers are pretty much
low-no pectin and if you taste the Certo, it, too, is sour. Six and a
half cups looks right.

And there's a line glitch in the recipe. It should look like this:
2 (3oz) pouches or 1 (6oz) bottle Certo liquid fruit pectin.

Note that Certo doesn't come in bottles anymore -- not for the last 30
years or so. It comes in two foil pouches per box.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back!