Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Denver Restaurants?

Things continue to improve.

We had lunch yesterday at Tamayo, another part of Richard
Sandoval's mini-chain. I would rank it as pretty good --
I had the cress/beet salad (some serious cress flavors there,
and great beets), and the folded quesadillas (dribbled with a
three of Sandoval's trademark creamy mole sauces... picture a normal
green or red mole, but mixed with cream and something sugary.
I've encountered these at his other places, like Maya in SF, and
they are seductively tasty but not for everyday).

For dinner we went to Vendome, and it was pretty close to
superb. I started with a martini; the blue-cheese olives
are house made and actually stuffed with a very strong
Roqueford (sp?) cheese. Dining partner selected a drink
invented by the bartender (Brian) which is a combo of
St. Germaine elderflower, plum wine, and vodka. Nice.
I then had the starter quiche (very good) which was accompanied
by a possibly perfect example of a spinach salad with warm bacon
dressing. After that I had the prawn risotto which was very good,
as was the Colorado lamb. I left to return to my conference, while my
dining partner stayed for a rhubarb dessert which she said was good.

Vendome has gone through some ownership changes, and are
in a much better phase now than they were a few years back.
So if you ever liked them, it's a good time to go back.

We have time for a few more lunches/dinners out, and are
possibly thinking of Mercury Cafe, Barolo, and/or
Osteria Marco (mainly for the allegedly great burata and
fresh mozzarella).

Steve