Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Denver Restaurants?

Any suggestions on restaurants in Denver (particularly LoDo /
central area, or Aurora)? I'm spending the next nine
days there.

Last time I was in town I enjoyed Zengo, but that was several
years ago.

Thanks,

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Steve Pope) wrote in
:

http://www.westword.com/restaurants
>>or click on the "Best Of" link. ("Best Of" voted by Denver
>>locals each year.)

>>Enjoy.

> Thanks, Sandi. I was aware of Westword but I hadn't noticed
> the "Best of" link. Coolness.
>
> Steve

Between the Gabby Gourmet and the Best Of from Westword
there should be a few interesting ones to try. :-)

I don't eat out often so this is the best I could suggest.
Let us know your daily fare. I'm interested in your reviews.
Coolness!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi > wrote:

>Here's the local free weekly newspaper, comes out each Thrusday.
>Check:
>http://www.westword.com/restaurants
>or click on the "Best Of" link. ("Best Of" voted by Denver locals
>each year.)

>Enjoy.

Thanks, Sandi. I was aware of Westword but I hadn't noticed
the "Best of" link. Coolness.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Any suggestions on restaurants in Denver (particularly LoDo /
> central area, or Aurora)? I'm spending the next nine
> days there.
>
> Last time I was in town I enjoyed Zengo, but that was several
> years ago.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

I always liked the Wynkoop. Sullivan's is good. The Oxford is really good.
My husband liked the Chop House. Dixon's is really good for breakfast. I
think it's on 16th and Blake if I remember right.

There's a Chinese place out in the Chambers, Hampden intersection that is
really good. It's called Golden Wok. There's also a place called Wing Hut
that's great for a quick meal and Coffee Spot is great for reasonably priced
meals in that same intersection area. We've eaten breakfast at the Coffee
Spot several times. It's nothing fancy but it's always good.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ms P > wrote:

> I always liked the Wynkoop. Sullivan's is good. The Oxford
> is really good. My husband liked the Chop House. Dixon's is
> really good for breakfast. I think it's on 16th and Blake if
> I remember right.

> There's a Chinese place out in the Chambers, Hampden
> intersection that is really good. It's called Golden Wok.
> There's also a place called Wing Hut that's great for a quick
> meal and Coffee Spot is great for reasonably priced meals in
> that same intersection area. We've eaten breakfast at the Coffee
> Spot several times. It's nothing fancy but it's always good.

Thanks!

Wynkoop was pretty satisfying last time I was there.

The Oxford Hotel has a seafood restaurant, McCormicks -- is that
the one you're referring to?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Ms P > wrote:
>
>> I always liked the Wynkoop. Sullivan's is good. The Oxford
>> is really good. My husband liked the Chop House. Dixon's is
>> really good for breakfast. I think it's on 16th and Blake if
>> I remember right.

>> There's a Chinese place out in the Chambers, Hampden
>> intersection that is really good. It's called Golden Wok.
>> There's also a place called Wing Hut that's great for a quick
>> meal and Coffee Spot is great for reasonably priced meals in
>> that same intersection area. We've eaten breakfast at the Coffee
>> Spot several times. It's nothing fancy but it's always good.

> Thanks!
>
> Wynkoop was pretty satisfying last time I was there.
>
> The Oxford Hotel has a seafood restaurant, McCormicks -- is that
> the one you're referring to?
>
> Steve

Yeah, that's it. I had forgotten the name of the restaurant. They used to
serve breakfast too and then quit and that's how we discovered Dixon's.

There are soooooo many excellent places in LoDo to eat.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 06:15:35 -0400, Stan Horwitz >
wrote:
>Steve,
>
>Check http://www.chowhound.com for restaurant reviews.

Also eGullet. There is were several threads there about Denver
restaurants.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Any suggestions on restaurants in Denver (particularly LoDo /

> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Was out there a couple of months ago & had a great meal at the Bonefish
Grill. All 6 of us loved it.

FWIW,

Van

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-07-12, Gloria P > wrote:

> If you are interested in ethnic, Federal Blvd, is lined for blocks with
> Vietnamese and Thai restaurants. Colfax Ave. has Ethiopian and Korean.

Cool. Which has the best banh mi?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well the brief report so far:

We arrived last night around 11, taking the RTD but from DIA
to our downtown hotel. This bus passed by an interesting looking
restaurant named Kiva, but in looking them up later they
did not have any New Mexican food despite their name. (Why
is it restaurants pick neames like Zuni or Kiva and then have
no food from New Mexico? It makes no sense.)

Anyway, being late we looked at the Westword "Best of Late Night"
list and picked the Denver Diner on Colfax
because it was close. Probably
a below average choice; no veggie burgers, or mac/cheese.
The fries were extremely good, my
"triple decker" grilled cheese sandwich was actually double
decker (a common menu misnomer), and while expertly grilled
it contained just two measly slices of American cheese --
not enough to satisfy someone were they hungry. Other
things ordered (trout, iceberg salad, beans) were passable
to good; a side of frozen or canned peas/carrots was really
poor. Not sure what they did to it.

Other items on the menu that we didn't order may be better
the green chili, and the chicken-fried steak. Egg Hollandaise
looked okay. Maybe okay for late late night, but at 11 pm
one would have been better off going to Rock Bottom.

The next day, brunch, at the Water Works Food, was lovely.
All vegetarian, vegan options. I had corn tamales, smothered
with green chile verde, sided with rice and refried beans.
Some guac on top. A not bad hapanero sauce on the side.
Popular, wait for table, every vegan or semi-veggie in
Colfax gulch is here.

Then later, drinks at the Vendome. Cultured. Will
receommend.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> We arrived last night around 11, taking the RTD but from DIA
> to our downtown hotel. This bus passed by an interesting looking
> restaurant named Kiva, but in looking them up later they
> did not have any New Mexican food despite their name. (Why
> is it restaurants pick neames like Zuni or Kiva and then have
> no food from New Mexico? It makes no sense.)

The Java Restaurant in Minneapolis specializes in Egyptian food.

And I don't think any of the restaurants named ___'s Garage serve
engine grease.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Things continue to improve.

We had lunch yesterday at Tamayo, another part of Richard
Sandoval's mini-chain. I would rank it as pretty good --
I had the cress/beet salad (some serious cress flavors there,
and great beets), and the folded quesadillas (dribbled with a
three of Sandoval's trademark creamy mole sauces... picture a normal
green or red mole, but mixed with cream and something sugary.
I've encountered these at his other places, like Maya in SF, and
they are seductively tasty but not for everyday).

For dinner we went to Vendome, and it was pretty close to
superb. I started with a martini; the blue-cheese olives
are house made and actually stuffed with a very strong
Roqueford (sp?) cheese. Dining partner selected a drink
invented by the bartender (Brian) which is a combo of
St. Germaine elderflower, plum wine, and vodka. Nice.
I then had the starter quiche (very good) which was accompanied
by a possibly perfect example of a spinach salad with warm bacon
dressing. After that I had the prawn risotto which was very good,
as was the Colorado lamb. I left to return to my conference, while my
dining partner stayed for a rhubarb dessert which she said was good.

Vendome has gone through some ownership changes, and are
in a much better phase now than they were a few years back.
So if you ever liked them, it's a good time to go back.

We have time for a few more lunches/dinners out, and are
possibly thinking of Mercury Cafe, Barolo, and/or
Osteria Marco (mainly for the allegedly great burata and
fresh mozzarella).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Jul 2008 03:11:07 GMT, sandi > fired up
random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Between the Gabby Gourmet and the Best Of from Westword
>there should be a few interesting ones to try. :-)

<snip>

I lived in Denver for years and the Gabby Gourmet is not such a great
place to "research" good CO restaurants, IMHO. It's kind of like
Orange Coast magazine here in SoCal: they pretty much sell their
ratings.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> On 12 Jul 2008 03:11:07 GMT, sandi >
> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>
>>Between the Gabby Gourmet and the Best Of from Westword
>>there should be a few interesting ones to try. :-)

> <snip>
>
> I lived in Denver for years and the Gabby Gourmet is not such
> a great place to "research" good CO restaurants, IMHO. It's
> kind of like Orange Coast magazine here in SoCal: they pretty
> much sell their ratings.
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

I like her radio show and the review she gives and also the
restaurant reviews the callers call in to give.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sandi said...

> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
> :
>
>> On 12 Jul 2008 03:11:07 GMT, sandi >
>> fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:
>>
>>>Between the Gabby Gourmet and the Best Of from Westword
>>>there should be a few interesting ones to try. :-)

>> <snip>
>>
>> I lived in Denver for years and the Gabby Gourmet is not such
>> a great place to "research" good CO restaurants, IMHO. It's
>> kind of like Orange Coast magazine here in SoCal: they pretty
>> much sell their ratings.
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> I like her radio show and the review she gives and also the
> restaurant reviews the callers call in to give.

Philadelphia, listening to 630 KHOW Denver radio for the moment.

Talk radio, no Gabby Gourmet "in the morning"?!?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm back from Denver and here is the balance of my report.

For our splurge dinner, we went to Barolo. This was indeed
quite a treat. Barolo is located in the leafy Country Club
neighborhood a couple miles southeast of downtown. My dining
partner had the seafood tasting menu with wine pairing, while I
had the pesto rictta gnocchi plus the Barolo salad with gorgonzola,
along with a single glass of a Supertuscan wine. Everything
was good to excellent; the spaghetti puttanesca (made with tuna rather
than anchovies) that came with the tasting menu was amazing.
I think they must have used a pepperonata (sp?) style red pepper
ingredient because it was really pungent with rep pepper flavor.

Staff are very enthusiastic, perhaps driven by the fact that
the owner shuts down the restaurant and takes all employees ("down to
the dishwashers") to Italy each year for ten days, to infuse
them with food sensibilities.

Also pretty good was a lunch at Osteria Marco -- they are famous
for their burata which was in fact superb; the pizza was good
but not stellar.

We went back to Water Works Foods for a second lunch and while
generally good what really impressed me was the onion rings --
best I've had in ages. The "buffalo" tofu sandwich was very
decent (lots of Frank's, I would say).

For fast food I went to Falafel King twice (once at each
downtown location) -- they have, in my opinion, superior
babaganoush and not bad falafel.

We did not dine at the McCormick's in the Oxford, but we did go to
Cruise Lounge, which is a snug, atmospheric bar. For more
downscale drinking on the other end of downtown, there is
Leela's, a very comfortable experience.

Finally, shortly before flying home, we had lunch at Horsed,
on Mississippi. We were in the area, and it seemed an obvious
choice. It is an African restaurant, next to a Halal grocery,
with all the taxi drivers loitering out in front, so it looked
promising and the food was pretty good. Lunch includes as
many cups of strong chai tea as you want, a salad to start
and a banana for dessert. There was nothing vegetarian on the
menu but they happily brought me a plate of rice and vegetables
when I asked. A very interesting hot sauce came along with it.
I would go back.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

tbs48 > wrote in

s.com:

> Taqueria Patzcuaro.. 34th off of N Federal.. wonderful Mexican
> food.

2616 W 32nd Ave
http://www.taqpatz.com/

> Namaste on Wadsworth.. Indian/Nepali..

3355 S Wadsworth Blvd.
http://www.namasterestaurant.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taqueria Patzcuaro.. 34th off of N Federal.. wonderful Mexican food.

Namaste on Wadsworth.. Indian/Nepali..

Snow in Denver gloria.p General Cooking 2 09-02-2010 03:04 AM
Hi, DENVER! Andy General Cooking 2 27-10-2006 03:59 AM
Cue in Denver area Fyrepup Barbecue 5 01-08-2005 02:06 PM
Denver restaurants Gordon McDougall Restaurants 4 10-09-2004 05:03 PM
i think this little jack denver is john denver because when ZBOXMAN DANVILLE,CA FREE COMPUTER RECYCLING FREE General Cooking 5 01-02-2004 11:09 PM