Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Lump charcoal questions & Chimney help please

On 12-Jul-2008, =?iso-8859-1?B?VEZNrg==?=
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Jul 11, 10:35 pm, TFM® > wrote:
> >
> >> For the record let me state that I will not ever use mesquite
> >> for
> >> smoking.
> >> I may at some point in the future attempt grilling beef with
> >> it.

> > Thanks for backing up a bit. We have mesquite literally growing
> > in
> > front yards here, so we can get all we want for experimentation.
> > It
> > is no oddity. It isn't for everybody, but when used correctly
> > it puts
> > a light tangy taste on meat, and that's it.

> I suppose we all mellow with age. <G>
>
> There seems to be a lot of mesquite lump on the market here these
> days. Is
> it worth a go on some steaks?
>

> TFM®

I did a lot of grilling over mesquite back in the day when I was
regularly
assigned to San Antonio. The last trip, I lived on an outlying
property that
had dead mesquite laying all over the place. It had all been dead
and just
laying there for years. There was plenty of stuff in the 2 inch size
within
easy carrying distance of the 'Pit'. The pit was an outdoor brick
grill with
a chimney. I don't remember ever adding fresh fuel to an existing
fire. We
grilled only chicken and steaks, so there were no long cooks going
on.
It's great for grilling. Ours was virtually smokeless, odorless and
tasteless.
I never burned any green mesquite or any that was purposely cut down

for that matter.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)