Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Lump charcoal questions & Chimney help please

First off, I'm finding out I'm not the hardcore Q'er I thought I'd be.
So I sold my Weber Genesis. Got most of the money back minus $150. Oh
well, lesson learned! I was only using it on the weekends for burgers
and dogs. What a waste and a bad decision. Should have started with
what a bought next: the Weber OTG!

You know, all those discussions about gas vs charcoal.... there is
NOTHING like charcoal. Standing over the fire, watching it, smelling
it, then cooking with it, and seeing all that smoke, and that cooking
smell!!!! Man I love that. You lose all that with a gas grill and you
might as well cook inside the house for all I care. I'm glad I went
back to charcoal. Enough on that.

I bought a bag of Kingsford lump charcoal. Didn't know it was various
sizes of chunks of wood - small pieces, large pieces... actual wood,
very cool.

My Weber chimney didn't arrive in time for my first charcoal que, so i
crumpled up B&W newspaper and placed (yes, placed, using my hands) the
sooty lump charcoal on top of the wads of newspaper. What a PITA.

So my questions:

#1. Since the lump is in various sized pieces, how do you fill up the
Weber Chimney? Do you shake it and try to make sure all the pieces are
taken up as much space as possible - i.e. so that a big piece isn't
sitting crooked blocking up space for other pieces.

#2. For like 8-10 pieces of food (burgers and dogs) would you use a
full chimney or half?

#3. With lump charcoal, do you wait for the top lumps in the chimney
to start turning white before you dump them into the OTG ? I thought I
saw something that they burn faster so you dump them out sooner?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

meatnub wrote:
> First off, I'm finding out I'm not the hardcore Q'er I thought I'd be.
> So I sold my Weber Genesis. Got most of the money back minus $150. Oh
> well, lesson learned! I was only using it on the weekends for burgers
> and dogs. What a waste and a bad decision. Should have started with
> what a bought next: the Weber OTG!

I would have kept the Weber...:-) I have been cooking on lump for a few
years now, and just bought a gasser. It's nice (for me) to have the
convenience of a quick outdoor cooking source.

> You know, all those discussions about gas vs charcoal.... there is
> NOTHING like charcoal. Standing over the fire, watching it, smelling
> it, then cooking with it, and seeing all that smoke, and that cooking
> smell!!!! Man I love that. You lose all that with a gas grill and you
> might as well cook inside the house for all I care. I'm glad I went
> back to charcoal. Enough on that.
>
> I bought a bag of Kingsford lump charcoal. Didn't know it was various
> sizes of chunks of wood - small pieces, large pieces... actual wood,
> very cool.
>
> My Weber chimney didn't arrive in time for my first charcoal que, so i
> crumpled up B&W newspaper and placed (yes, placed, using my hands) the
> sooty lump charcoal on top of the wads of newspaper. What a PITA.
>
> So my questions:
>
> #1. Since the lump is in various sized pieces, how do you fill up the
> Weber Chimney? Do you shake it and try to make sure all the pieces are
> taken up as much space as possible - i.e. so that a big piece isn't
> sitting crooked blocking up space for other pieces.

I just pour it out of the bag, and give the chimney a quick
shake...don't worry about it too much.

> #2. For like 8-10 pieces of food (burgers and dogs) would you use a
> full chimney or half?

Since the lump is re-usable, I would use a whole chimney. If it is too
much fire, back off a bit....

> #3. With lump charcoal, do you wait for the top lumps in the chimney
> to start turning white before you dump them into the OTG ? I thought I
> saw something that they burn faster so you dump them out sooner?
>
> Thanks!

I usually dump them out when 1/2 to 2/3 of the chimney is glowing and
crackling. Have fun!! I try to find royal oak lump..haven't tried the
Kingsford.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

This is a good site to read through....

--
Oncler....
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 11, 9:35*am, Oncler > wrote:

> * * * * I just pour it out of the bag, and give the chimney a quick
> shake...don't worry about it too much.

nice. yeah that's what i thought, thanks

> > #2. For like 8-10 pieces of food (burgers and dogs) would you use a
> > full chimney or half?

> * * * * Since the lump is re-usable, I would use a whole chimney. If it is too
> much fire, back off a bit....

Um.... it's reusable??? OK I guess I can see that - there are pieces
that are still white. How do I know when they AREN'T resuable? What do
they burn down to after going white? Do they eventually break down
into ash?

> * * * * I usually dump them out when 1/2 to 2/3 of the chimney is glowing and
> crackling. Have fun!! I try to find royal oak lump..haven't tried the
> Kingsford.
>
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm
>
> This is a good site to read through....
>
> --
> Oncler....- Hide quoted text -

Gotcha. I'll give that a go. Thanks for the link too.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"meatnub" > wrote in message
On Jul 11, 9:35 am, Oncler > wrote:

> I just pour it out of the bag, and give the chimney a quick
> shake...don't worry about it too much.

nice. yeah that's what i thought, thanks

> > #2. For like 8-10 pieces of food (burgers and dogs) would you use a
> > full chimney or half?

> Since the lump is re-usable, I would use a whole chimney. If it is too
> much fire, back off a bit....

Um.... it's reusable??? OK I guess I can see that - there are pieces
that are still white. How do I know when they AREN'T resuable? What do
they burn down to after going white? Do they eventually break down
into ash?

> I usually dump them out when 1/2 to 2/3 of the chimney is glowing and
> crackling. Have fun!! I try to find royal oak lump..haven't tried the
> Kingsford.
>
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm
>
> This is a good site to read through....
>
> --
> Oncler....- Hide quoted text -

Gotcha. I'll give that a go. Thanks for the link too.

Just close down all the vents as soon as you're done and there'll be 1/2 a
chimney left usually. I try and scoop as much of it as I can into the
chimney the next time, and start the chimney on top of the rest. Usually
the heat gets the stuff under the chimney going pretty good.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 11, 8:21*am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:

> Just close down all the vents as soon as you're done and there'll be 1/2 a
> chimney left usually. *I try and scoop as much of it as I can into the
> chimney the next time, and start the chimney on top of the rest. *Usually
> the heat gets the stuff under the chimney going pretty good.

Shoot, I just throw the new chimney on top of the old unburnt stuff.
Never relight it in the chimney especially as a lot of it is partially
burnt without a lot of mass left.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 11, 12:44*pm, Tutall > wrote:
> On Jul 11, 8:21*am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
>
> > Just close down all the vents as soon as you're done and there'll be 1/2 a
> > chimney left usually. *I try and scoop as much of it as I can into the
> > chimney the next time, and start the chimney on top of the rest. *Usually
> > the heat gets the stuff under the chimney going pretty good.

> Shoot, I just throw the new chimney on top of the old unburnt stuff.
> Never relight it in the chimney especially as a lot of it is partially
> burnt without a lot of mass left.

Sounds like a plan!

Another question - the weber chimney has space under the grate to put
crumpled newspaper. Well, after you like the newspaper and start the
chimney, when you go to dump the lump into the grill, won't all that
paper fly around and what-not? Is there something better to use than
newspaper?

Also if I were to buy hickory chunks, do you put them right on the lit
lump in the grill or do people soak them sometimes, or both? lol

thanks again
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Another question - the weber chimney has space under the grate to put
> crumpled newspaper. Well, after you like the newspaper and start the
> chimney, when you go to dump the lump into the grill, won't all that
> paper fly around and what-not? Is there something better to use than
> newspaper?

What I do is unconventional. I take a jar and soak one or two lumps in
naphtha (or something flammable)
for quite awhile (actually, I always have lumps soaking in the fluid,
so sometimes they soak for weeks)
and put those in the bottom of the chimney, then pour the desired
amount of lump on top and light
from below with a torch. You get a brief 'whump' and then it all
starts normally. Works perfect.

By the way, is $3.99 a good price for a 7 pound bag of mesquite lump
from Mexico?

Grant

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Tutall wrote:

> On Jul 11, 8:21*am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
>
> > Just close down all the vents as soon as you're done and there'll
> > be 1/2 a chimney left usually. *I try and scoop as much of it as I
> > can into the chimney the next time, and start the chimney on top of
> > the rest. *Usually the heat gets the stuff under the chimney going
> > pretty good.

> Shoot, I just throw the new chimney on top of the old unburnt stuff.
> Never relight it in the chimney especially as a lot of it is partially
> burnt without a lot of mass left.

That's what I do. I give it shake to knock some of the ash off then
dump in new stuff.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"pops" > wrote in message

>> Another question - the weber chimney has space under the grate to put
>> crumpled newspaper. Well, after you like the newspaper and start the
>> chimney, when you go to dump the lump into the grill, won't all that
>> paper fly around and what-not? Is there something better to use than
>> newspaper?

> What I do is unconventional. I take a jar and soak one or two lumps in
> naphtha (or something flammable)
> for quite awhile (actually, I always have lumps soaking in the fluid,
> so sometimes they soak for weeks)
> and put those in the bottom of the chimney, then pour the desired
> amount of lump on top and light
> from below with a torch. You get a brief 'whump' and then it all
> starts normally. Works perfect.
>
> By the way, is $3.99 a good price for a 7 pound bag of mesquite lump
> from Mexico?
>
> Grant

If they paid me to take mesquite, I'd take the money and throw the mesquite
away.

I'd do this several times a day. Then I'd buy charcoal that is fit to cook
on .

IMNSHO,
TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Tutall wrote:
>
>> On Jul 11, 8:21 am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
>>
>> > Just close down all the vents as soon as you're done and there'll
>> > be 1/2 a chimney left usually. I try and scoop as much of it as I
>> > can into the chimney the next time, and start the chimney on top of
>> > the rest. Usually the heat gets the stuff under the chimney going
>> > pretty good.

>> Shoot, I just throw the new chimney on top of the old unburnt stuff.
>> Never relight it in the chimney especially as a lot of it is partially
>> burnt without a lot of mass left.

> That's what I do. I give it shake to knock some of the ash off then
> dump in new stuff.

Even when I'm a dumb-ass I reuse the old lump. By being a dumb-ass I mean
leaving the wsm sitting out in the rainy season without it's cover on.
I mean the vinyl cover that keeps the rain out because the WSM has
inherently poor design (planned obsolescence) that funnels water *into*
rather than *out* of the cooker during rain.

In hurricane season the charcoal pan is sometimes full to the rim.

That's the best part about lump, water doesn't hurt it. It will still burn.

Try that with Kingsford.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Oncler" > wrote in message
> meatnub wrote:
>> First off, I'm finding out I'm not the hardcore Q'er I thought I'd be.
>> So I sold my Weber Genesis. Got most of the money back minus $150. Oh
>> well, lesson learned! I was only using it on the weekends for burgers
>> and dogs. What a waste and a bad decision. Should have started with
>> what a bought next: the Weber OTG!

> I would have kept the Weber...:-) I have been cooking on lump for a few
> years now, and just bought a gasser. It's nice (for me) to have the
> convenience of a quick outdoor cooking source.
>>
>> You know, all those discussions about gas vs charcoal.... there is
>> NOTHING like charcoal. Standing over the fire, watching it, smelling
>> it, then cooking with it, and seeing all that smoke, and that cooking
>> smell!!!! Man I love that. You lose all that with a gas grill and you
>> might as well cook inside the house for all I care. I'm glad I went
>> back to charcoal. Enough on that.
>>
>> I bought a bag of Kingsford lump charcoal. Didn't know it was various
>> sizes of chunks of wood - small pieces, large pieces... actual wood,
>> very cool.
>>
>> My Weber chimney didn't arrive in time for my first charcoal que, so i
>> crumpled up B&W newspaper and placed (yes, placed, using my hands) the
>> sooty lump charcoal on top of the wads of newspaper. What a PITA.
>>
>> So my questions:
>>
>> #1. Since the lump is in various sized pieces, how do you fill up the
>> Weber Chimney? Do you shake it and try to make sure all the pieces are
>> taken up as much space as possible - i.e. so that a big piece isn't
>> sitting crooked blocking up space for other pieces.

>>> #3. With lump charcoal, do you wait for the top lumps in the chimney

>> to start turning white before you dump them into the OTG ? I thought I
>> saw something that they burn faster so you dump them out sooner?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> I usually dump them out when 1/2 to 2/3 of the chimney is glowing and
> crackling. Have fun!! I try to find royal oak lump..haven't tried the
> Kingsford.
>
> http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm
>
> This is a good site to read through....
>

> --
> Oncler....

Yes I also agree about keeping the Gasser as there'll be times when you just
want to cook something without the bother of mucking around with charcoal.
On saying that, I have 2 Weber kettles with the latest one being the
Performer which i absolutely love using and a little Q120 for the lazy
night's cook.

Lump Charcoal isn't that common down here in Australia and the only place I
can find it is in Barbeques Galore in 7Kg (15 Ib) bags for just under $30.
The lump is imported from the USA. Briquettes are about $7.50 in 4 kg ( 9
Ib) bags but as stated, it's far superior to cook on a charcoal grill for
it's flavour etc.
I tried with lump charcoal just recently just to see the difference it would
make so I filled up my chimney to the brim like i do with the briquettes and
light it up and while i'm waiting for them to glow, I'll go inside and
continue to get the food ready.After about 20 minutes or so, i went out to
check on the fire in the chimney and was shocked to see that it is now only
half full....bloody hell!! where did all that valuable lump go? So I chucked
on a few briquettes to make up for the quantity (or lack there-of) and had
to wait for about 20 minutes for those to go grey.

I really don't know if i want to go back down the Lump charcoal path again
as they don't seem to last very long and might just stick with Briquettes.

Cheers
DJ

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:

> If they paid me to take mesquite, I'd take the money and throw the
> mesquite away.
>
> I'd do this several times a day. Then I'd buy charcoal that is fit
> to cook on .
>
> IMNSHO,
> TFM®

I share that opinion as well, amigo. I'd have no objection to the use of a
bit of mequite for open-grate grilling on certain cuts of steak, but that's
about it for me. IMNSHO

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"TFM®" > wrote in message
. com...

> In hurricane season the charcoal pan is sometimes full to the rim.
>
> That's the best part about lump, water doesn't hurt it. It will still
> burn.
>
> Try that with Kingsford.

Kingsford after being wet will *NEVER* burn.

Wifey discovered that when vacationing with new in-laws in New Mexico &
bragged about being able to cook a turkey in a Weber.

Checked with me via phone - I told her -- but still tried & was still
attempting to light it at 10 pm. Hehe. Turkey!! (2-3 Hours or so...)

Said so.

Van

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> TFM® wrote:
>
>> If they paid me to take mesquite, I'd take the money and throw the
>> mesquite away.
>>
>> I'd do this several times a day. Then I'd buy charcoal that is fit
>> to cook on .
>>
>> IMNSHO,
>> TFM®

> I share that opinion as well, amigo. I'd have no objection to the use of a
> bit of mequite for open-grate grilling on certain cuts of steak, but
> that's about it for me. IMNSHO

Let's call this a self rebuttal as there are a lot of mesquite fans out
there.

I've used it twice in a smoking environment, and both times were with
chicken.

Completely inedible on both counts.

Now if the tables were turned and I was grilling some beef at about 1000
degrees, maybe it wouldn't leave such a sour taste in my mouth.

I've not done it, but I understand that is the preferred method.

For the record let me state that I will not ever use mesquite for smoking.
I may at some point in the future attempt grilling beef with it.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 11, 10:35 pm, TFM® > wrote:

> For the record let me state that I will not ever use mesquite for smoking..
> I may at some point in the future attempt grilling beef with it.

Thanks for backing up a bit. We have mesquite literally growing in
front yards here, so we can get all we want for experimentation. It
is no oddity. It isn't for everybody, but when used correctly it puts
a light tangy taste on meat, and that's it.

That being said, I use mesquite all the time, but ONLY in small
amounts, and WELL seasoned wood only. The trick is this: don't use
much. Well seasoned mesquite adds a nice layer of flavor to smoked
meats, but even at that I don't use much, and not for the whole smoke.

To me, mesquite is good one of three ways:

A roaring wood fire to sear and cook steaks, or with a couple of small
pieces in the fuel mix to accent grilled chicken or fish. Long
mesquite smokes are suicide.

The third way to use it is great with brisket or chuck roll. Again, a
little for a while, and that's all.

I think the huge misperception of mesquite comes when people use it
like they would hickory, oak, pecan, etc. It is much to strong for
that. It also makes an important difference to age it for a year or
two before using. Since this wood commonly winds up on fireplaces
around here, it is easy to get aged mesquite - anywhere. I have about
a cord of it myself.

I think too is you are used to a milder smoke like the nut family
woods, mesquite can be really strong. Growing up with the taste of
mesquite smoked foods, I was mildly annoyed when our northern
neighbors "discovered" mesquite grilled this and that, and mesquite
smoked this and that. It showed up on every restaurant menu, every
precooked grocery store piece of meat and every cold cut counter.

Soon.... cooking over wood will be "rediscovered" as a lost art, and
we will have to endure that as well.

Kinda reminds me of the "blackened" craze that went on years ago.
Black spices doesn't mean blackened except to Lawrys, McCormicks, etc.
and the people that use them. Few ever bothered to find out that
"blackened" was more method than spice.

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:35:15 -0400, TFM®
> wrote:

>"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> TFM® wrote:
>>
>>> If they paid me to take mesquite, I'd take the money and throw the
>>> mesquite away.
>>>
>>> I'd do this several times a day. Then I'd buy charcoal that is fit
>>> to cook on .
>>>
>>> IMNSHO,
>>> TFM®

>> I share that opinion as well, amigo. I'd have no objection to the use of a
>> bit of mequite for open-grate grilling on certain cuts of steak, but
>> that's about it for me. IMNSHO
>>

>Let's call this a self rebuttal as there are a lot of mesquite fans out
>there.
>
>I've used it twice in a smoking environment, and both times were with
>chicken.
>
>Completely inedible on both counts.
>
>Now if the tables were turned and I was grilling some beef at about 1000
>degrees, maybe it wouldn't leave such a sour taste in my mouth.
>
>I've not done it, but I understand that is the preferred method.
>
>For the record let me state that I will not ever use mesquite for smoking.
>I may at some point in the future attempt grilling beef with it.
>

>TFM®

I'm a big time mesquite fan but prefer Alder with chicken.

What Is a Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is
someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to
'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his
life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country
today, who no longer understand that fact.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> On Jul 11, 10:35 pm, TFM® > wrote:
>
>> For the record let me state that I will not ever use mesquite for
>> smoking.
>> I may at some point in the future attempt grilling beef with it.

> Thanks for backing up a bit. We have mesquite literally growing in
> front yards here, so we can get all we want for experimentation. It
> is no oddity. It isn't for everybody, but when used correctly it puts
> a light tangy taste on meat, and that's it.

I suppose we all mellow with age. <G>

There seems to be a lot of mesquite lump on the market here these days. Is
it worth a go on some steaks?

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 12, 5:20 pm, TFM® > wrote:
at, and that's it.

> I suppose we all mellow with age. <G>

LOL. It happens to the best of us!

> There seems to be a lot of mesquite lump on the market here these days. Is
> it worth a go on some steaks?

I would say it depends on how you cook yours. I leave my coals and
wood in the chimney until all of them are orange. Then I put them in
the grill and cook away. At super high temps the steaks don't spend
much time over the fire (medium rare) so there is almost no chance of
too much smoke no matter what you are using.

If you are the other school of cooking and sear both sides and cook
away from the fire to finish, you obviously get more smoke.

For the first method I use 1/3 R Oak briquettes, 1/3 oak (white or
red) and 1/3 seasoned mesquite chunks. I put the RO on the bottom of
the chimney and let it light first, then the oak, and lastly the
mesquite. When the mesquite is really burning, the chimney is ready.
I scatter the hot coals and wait about 15 minutes with the cooker top
down to really heat up the cast iron grates. The wood will generate a
lot of smoke and heat, but since the mesquite (and oak) is really dry,
no creosote stuff. This is for rib eyes and strips.

On the second method for meats that can use a bit more time on the
grill like sirloins, etc., I do pretty much the same thing but use all
lump as it doesn't get as hot. But since the mesquite has been
converted to lump, it doesn't have much bite so the lower temps are
fine. I have had great success with some kind of Mexican made lump
they sell here for grilling steaks and chicken. As properly made
lump, it is pretty mellow.
It does burn really hot though and the stuff I bought just doesn't
give that mesquite taste I crave from time to time. To finish cooking
with that bag lump, I put strips in the grill (about 3 or 4) of
seasoned mesquite that are about the same size as a carpenter's
pencil. Like I said, no much needed. Came out great.

I would say give it a whirl and see what you think. It's cheap enough
to try. You could burn a quick test steak and some bird on it and see
pretty easily what you get.

I'd be interested to know!

Robert

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:50:37 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Jul 12, 5:20 pm, TFM® > wrote:
>at, and that's it.
>
>> I suppose we all mellow with age. <G>

>LOL. It happens to the best of us!

Yeah. I remember how I knew everything and understood everything when
I was in my 20s. ;-)

Desideria
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12-Jul-2008, =?iso-8859-1?B?VEZNrg==?=
> wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Jul 11, 10:35 pm, TFM® > wrote:
> >
> >> For the record let me state that I will not ever use mesquite
> >> for
> >> smoking.
> >> I may at some point in the future attempt grilling beef with
> >> it.

> > Thanks for backing up a bit. We have mesquite literally growing
> > in
> > front yards here, so we can get all we want for experimentation.
> > It
> > is no oddity. It isn't for everybody, but when used correctly
> > it puts
> > a light tangy taste on meat, and that's it.

> I suppose we all mellow with age. <G>
>
> There seems to be a lot of mesquite lump on the market here these
> days. Is
> it worth a go on some steaks?
>

> TFM®

I did a lot of grilling over mesquite back in the day when I was
regularly
assigned to San Antonio. The last trip, I lived on an outlying
property that
had dead mesquite laying all over the place. It had all been dead
and just
laying there for years. There was plenty of stuff in the 2 inch size
within
easy carrying distance of the 'Pit'. The pit was an outdoor brick
grill with
a chimney. I don't remember ever adding fresh fuel to an existing
fire. We
grilled only chicken and steaks, so there were no long cooks going
on.
It's great for grilling. Ours was virtually smokeless, odorless and
tasteless.
I never burned any green mesquite or any that was purposely cut down

for that matter.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Desideria" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:50:37 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>>On Jul 12, 5:20 pm, TFM® > wrote:
>>at, and that's it.
>>
>>> I suppose we all mellow with age. <G>

>>LOL. It happens to the best of us!
>>

> Yeah. I remember how I knew everything and understood everything when
> I was in my 20s. ;-)
>
> Desideria

So is it true, the older we get, the dumber we are?

<just kidding> I realize the frivolity of youth. I was there once.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Brick" > wrote in message
.. .

> On 12-Jul-2008, =?iso-8859-1?B?VEZNrg==?=
> > wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message

>> > Thanks for backing up a bit. We have mesquite literally growing
>> > in
>> > front yards here, so we can get all we want for experimentation.
>> > It
>> > is no oddity. It isn't for everybody, but when used correctly
>> > it puts
>> > a light tangy taste on meat, and that's it.

>> I suppose we all mellow with age. <G>
>>
>> There seems to be a lot of mesquite lump on the market here these
>> days. Is
>> it worth a go on some steaks?
>>

>> TFM®

> I did a lot of grilling over mesquite back in the day when I was
> regularly
> assigned to San Antonio. The last trip, I lived on an outlying
> property that
> had dead mesquite laying all over the place. It had all been dead
> and just
> laying there for years. There was plenty of stuff in the 2 inch size
> within
> easy carrying distance of the 'Pit'. The pit was an outdoor brick
> grill with
> a chimney. I don't remember ever adding fresh fuel to an existing
> fire. We
> grilled only chicken and steaks, so there were no long cooks going
> on.
> It's great for grilling. Ours was virtually smokeless, odorless and
> tasteless.
> I never burned any green mesquite or any that was purposely cut down
>
> for that matter.
> --
> Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

I thank ye for your opinion and advice. As I grow older it's easier to
accept the wisdom of my elders.

I reckon mesquite lump would be in the category of "dry".

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 13-Jul-2008, =?iso-8859-1?B?VEZNrg==?=
> wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message
> .. .

< major snippage>

> I thank ye for your opinion and advice. As I grow older it's
> easier to
> accept the wisdom of my elders.
>
> I reckon mesquite lump would be in the category of "dry".
>

> TFM®

For the record, if I could get mesquite lump for the price we used
to pay for Royal Oak, (34¢/lb), I'd buy a pallet full first thing
monday.
I think I can get a quantity of Royal Oak into Tampa for about
45¢/lb.
--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:

> So is it true, the older we get, the dumber we are?
>
> <just kidding> I realize the frivolity of youth. I was there once.

Twice, now, the two granddaughters (3-1/2 and 2) have tricked Grandpa
when he's babysitting and putting them to bed. Poor old Grandpa's so
dumb that he doesn't know which bed they sleep in, what rituals there
are before going to sleep and even whether one sleeps in a big girl's
bed or a crib. Yup, I can attest that poor old Grandpa's not as smart
as he used to be. <Grin>

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
I'm not who you think I am. I'm not who
I think I am. I am what I think you think I am.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"TFM®" > wrote in message
. com...

> I suppose we all mellow with age. <G>
>
> There seems to be a lot of mesquite lump on the market here these days.
> Is it worth a go on some steaks?
>

> TFM®

have used mesquite lump often with great results---Lazzaris<sp> is one good
brand sure there are others--the wood on the other hand is great in the
fireplace!
Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> TFM® wrote:>
>> I thank ye for your opinion and advice. As I grow older it's easier
>> to accept the wisdom of my elders.

> As I grow older its easier to accept the wisdom of my elders....
> because there's fewer and fewer of them. On the other hand, does that
> mean my "wisdom" is a PITA to those who are younger?

Perhaps; but only because those in their teens and twenty's are too naive,
too self-centered, and too dumb to understand that they don't know enough to
know that they don't know enough. :-D

--
Dave

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 11, 12:30*pm, meatnub > wrote:

> Another question - the weber chimney has space under the grate to put
> crumpled newspaper. Well, after you like the newspaper and start the
> chimney, when you go to dump the lump into the grill, won't all that
> paper fly around and what-not? Is there something better to use than
> newspaper?

Sorry for being a little late to the party, but I'm on vacation and
haven't been keeping up with things as much as I would like.

A lot of people spray their newspaper with Pam or some other cooking
spray, or even dip it in old cooking oil, but that could be messy. I'm
surprised that nobody has mentioned my favorite method of lighting a
charcoal chimney: wax paper! Yep...good ol' wax paper from the grocery
store! Just pull it off the roll, wrapping it around your free hand
about 8 or 10 times, then compact it up a bit and stick it under the
chimney. One match is all you should need to light it, and it burns
hot and long enough to light the lump and leaves almost no ash. Pretty
cheap, too, as one roll will last a long time.

> Also if I were to buy hickory chunks, do you put them right on the lit
> lump in the grill or do people soak them sometimes, or both? lol

Soaking wood chunks is a waste of time (and water), as the wood only
soaks up a very small amount of water. It can also lead to the
formation of creosote deposits on the meat, which is bad. Let the wood
burn naturally, for best results. In fact, what I have come to do in
my WSM is to put a layer of wood chunks on top of my coals and let
them flame up and burn down to coals, themselves, which is closer to
traditional barbecue than just tossing the raw wood on the coals. I
have even been known to fire up a chimney of wood chunks, instead of
lump, to add to the top of the lump in the firepan (Minion Method).
Contrary to popular opinion, it ain't just all about the smoke!

Stan Marks
--
A waste is a terrible thing to mind!

Charcoal Chimney Cam[_1_] Barbecue 139 12-07-2010 04:52 AM
Charcoal Chimney Starter not working for me Mike S. Barbecue 10 19-09-2007 04:40 AM
Charcoal chimney large than Weber? Abe Barbecue 7 24-09-2005 10:00 PM
Charcoal chimney TT Barbecue 39 17-08-2004 11:29 PM
All your lump charcoal questions answered Banjo Barbecue 10 30-07-2004 11:36 AM