Posted to alt.food.barbecue
TFM®[_2_] TFM®[_2_] is offline

Default Lump charcoal questions & Chimney help please

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> TFM® wrote:
>
>> If they paid me to take mesquite, I'd take the money and throw the
>> mesquite away.
>>
>> I'd do this several times a day. Then I'd buy charcoal that is fit
>> to cook on .
>>
>> IMNSHO,
>> TFM®

> I share that opinion as well, amigo. I'd have no objection to the use of a
> bit of mequite for open-grate grilling on certain cuts of steak, but
> that's about it for me. IMNSHO

Let's call this a self rebuttal as there are a lot of mesquite fans out
there.

I've used it twice in a smoking environment, and both times were with
chicken.

Completely inedible on both counts.

Now if the tables were turned and I was grilling some beef at about 1000
degrees, maybe it wouldn't leave such a sour taste in my mouth.

I've not done it, but I understand that is the preferred method.

For the record let me state that I will not ever use mesquite for smoking.
I may at some point in the future attempt grilling beef with it.

TFM®