Posted to alt.food.barbecue
TFM®[_2_] TFM®[_2_] is offline

Default Lump charcoal questions & Chimney help please

"Default User" > wrote in message
> Tutall wrote:
>
>> On Jul 11, 8:21 am, "Dirty Harry" > wrote:
>>
>> > Just close down all the vents as soon as you're done and there'll
>> > be 1/2 a chimney left usually. I try and scoop as much of it as I
>> > can into the chimney the next time, and start the chimney on top of
>> > the rest. Usually the heat gets the stuff under the chimney going
>> > pretty good.

>> Shoot, I just throw the new chimney on top of the old unburnt stuff.
>> Never relight it in the chimney especially as a lot of it is partially
>> burnt without a lot of mass left.

> That's what I do. I give it shake to knock some of the ash off then
> dump in new stuff.

Even when I'm a dumb-ass I reuse the old lump. By being a dumb-ass I mean
leaving the wsm sitting out in the rainy season without it's cover on.
I mean the vinyl cover that keeps the rain out because the WSM has
inherently poor design (planned obsolescence) that funnels water *into*
rather than *out* of the cooker during rain.

In hurricane season the charcoal pan is sometimes full to the rim.

That's the best part about lump, water doesn't hurt it. It will still burn.

Try that with Kingsford.

TFM®