Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN: Three 75 & 76 German Riesling auslesen, Mouton 70, LeMontrachet 1981

On Jul 11, 9:05*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Nice notes, I'm envious. What are Rauenthalers?

Rauenthal is a Weinbauort(village)in the Grosslage Steinmacher which
is in the Anbaugebiet(region) Rheingau. There are several outstanding
vineyards, some of the best known being Baiken, Gehrn, Rothenberg,
Langenstuck, Wulfen and Nonnenberg. These vineyards have a cooler
climate than some areas of the Rheingau, but in very good to
exceptional years they can be among the best Rheingaus and can be
expensive. The largest owner is the state domain with about 28 ha. The
total vineyard area is only about 100 ha For some reason, perhaps the
fairly small production, these wines have not been as well known in
the US as say Schloss Johannisberg, but they are often better than
even this famous wine in good years. The Germans are more than happy
to drink up all of these wines they can get and afford in good years.

> On Jul 11, 6:09 am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> *it is not up to Egon
>
> > Muller's very outstanding 76 and 71 auslesen which would now cost you
> > a fortune if you can find them at all.

> And not a small fortune, either.
> The Egon Muller cult has got out of hand. I had put a Winesearcher
> alert for the 2007s. Got alert last night, checked. 2007 QbA $33,
> Spatlese $96, Auslesen $222. For prearrival. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this is nothing new, at least for Muller's top and most rare
wines. Muller's 1983 eiswein came on the market in the US for over US
$700 a bottle way back in the mid 80s. If one can find a bottle of
this today, likely one can not afford it if one has to ask the price.