Posted to alt.food.sushi
Wilson[_3_] Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Summertime Quiet

sometime in the recent past posted this:
> "We had some folks get ill 2 years ago when a
> family ate mussels they gathered attached to a floating mooring. Put
> some
> into the hospital w/paralytic shellfish poisoning in Bangor for weeks.
> No
> thanks!"
>

> ___________________
>

> Yipes! I used to cook up mussels I found around NYC when I lived back
> there. I wasn't aware of that danger.
>
> Those raw oysters they sell in little jars - do they tend to be
> dangerous? How well should I cook them - assuming it's within its
> expiration date and looks and smells good, of course. Guy in the
> Asian market told me you can eat them raw, but no thanks, not me. I
> just bought a bottle in the local Walmart.

Well, it happened again. This time it was some folks that I knew who took
some mussels off an mooring on the 4th and ended up going to the hospital. I
think they might even still be there. This is the same situation as last
time (which was *1* year ago) - Red Tide warnings were in place and the
offending shellfish were mussels and not from the ocean floor, but from a
floating mooring. This is the problem in my mind since the algae bloom
concentrates in the upper strata. The poisoning slows the heart rate, so
it's more than just sitting close to the 'water closet.'

--
Wilson N45 W67