Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Summertime Quiet

Obviously folks are much busier now than through the rest of the year, so I
hope everyone is enjoying getting out and around. Not much going on here
except a bit of Red Tide which has shut the shellfish industry down
periodically. Lobster landings are down too - combination of lobster's
tricky migrations and $4.75 (was $5.00)/gal diesel prices hurting
everything. Tighten you belts and keep cash on hand, stay near home and
enjoy the little things (while they're still affordable.) ;-)
--
Wilson N45 W67
.... keep you powder dry
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> Obviously folks are much busier now than through the rest of the year,
> so I hope everyone is enjoying getting out and around. Not much going on
> here except a bit of Red Tide which has shut the shellfish industry down
> periodically. Lobster landings are down too - combination of lobster's
> tricky migrations and $4.75 (was $5.00)/gal diesel prices hurting
> everything. Tighten you belts and keep cash on hand, stay near home and
> enjoy the little things (while they're still affordable.) ;-)

Yeah, its been real busy lately.. And the sad part is I haven't had much
sushi as of late. I did catch a nice fat 33" Striped Bass back on the 3rd.
My kids loved eating sashimi from it..

I also most never have clams nowadays, and Lobster only on special occasions.
Redtide has come thru Massaschusetts once again. Maybe the higher fuel prices
will keep some lobstermen off the ocean, and allow them to rebound. Just looking
for a silver lining.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
> Wilson wrote:
>> Obviously folks are much busier now than through the rest of the year,
>> so I hope everyone is enjoying getting out and around. Not much going
>> on here except a bit of Red Tide which has shut the shellfish industry
>> down periodically. Lobster landings are down too - combination of
>> lobster's tricky migrations and $4.75 (was $5.00)/gal diesel prices
>> hurting everything. Tighten you belts and keep cash on hand, stay near
>> home and enjoy the little things (while they're still affordable.) ;-)

> Yeah, its been real busy lately.. And the sad part is I haven't had much
> sushi as of late. I did catch a nice fat 33" Striped Bass back on the 3rd.
> My kids loved eating sashimi from it..
>
> I also most never have clams nowadays, and Lobster only on special
> occasions.
> Redtide has come thru Massaschusetts once again. Maybe the higher fuel
> prices
> will keep some lobstermen off the ocean, and allow them to rebound.
> Just looking
> for a silver lining.

You got it! I suspect some changes throughout and hoping that's a good
thing. Tough to stop paying bills in mid-stream, but if one has a choice,
I'd like a little more breathing room between me, the next paycheck and
bankruptcy. Budget for a long dry spell. <small rant ends here>

I'm getting too lazy to dig my own clams much, but I can scratch up a peck
when the Red Tide isn't in. We had some folks get ill 2 years ago when a
family ate mussels they gathered attached to a floating mooring. Put some
into the hospital w/paralytic shellfish poisoning in Bangor for weeks. No
thanks!

Lobster prices have been high, but word was this summer the fishermen would
be getting under $3/lb. Their word was 'We'll stay tied up for that.'

So 33" striper, I'd have to check our regs to see what the current size must
be. I haven't caught one since '69 - you got the nuts down there for
stripers & Blues. Too cold for good annual runs around here I guess. Striper
is the best salt water fish I've eaten next to flounder ;-)

Getting ready to thin the carrots. Transplanted some Red Shiso seedlings
yesterday - grew green last year.

--
Wilson N45 W67
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
>
> I'm getting too lazy to dig my own clams much, but I can scratch up a
> peck when the Red Tide isn't in. We had some folks get ill 2 years ago
> when a family ate mussels they gathered attached to a floating mooring.
> Put some into the hospital w/paralytic shellfish poisoning in Bangor for
> weeks. No thanks!

I know a guy who gets a license for clams in Scituate every year so he can
dig his own.. but I don't think he will this season if its poisoned.

> Lobster prices have been high, but word was this summer the fishermen
> would be getting under $3/lb. Their word was 'We'll stay tied up for that.'

Could give a much needed break to the industry. Imagine a population rebound
with a few years off.

> So 33" striper, I'd have to check our regs to see what the current size
> must be. I haven't caught one since '69 - you got the nuts down there
> for stripers & Blues. Too cold for good annual runs around here I guess.
> Striper is the best salt water fish I've eaten next to flounder ;-)

You guys have a slot limit!!! One fish per day per person from 20" - 26" or 40"+.
I kind of wish they'd do that here in MA. It makes better sense to take a smaller
one that hasn't started breeding, or a massive one that's done lots of breeding and
is going to feed an army.

> Getting ready to thin the carrots. Transplanted some Red Shiso seedlings
> yesterday - grew green last year.

I need to weed my green shiso patch. Its over grown with grass and clover.
Once the shiso really grows its will be easier to pull the weeds and not worry
about unrooting the good stuff. I'm looking forward to some fall striper
sashimi with green shiso and ponzu. Mmmmmm.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"We had some folks get ill 2 years ago when a
family ate mussels they gathered attached to a floating mooring. Put
some
into the hospital w/paralytic shellfish poisoning in Bangor for weeks.
No
thanks!"

___________________

Yipes! I used to cook up mussels I found around NYC when I lived back
there. I wasn't aware of that danger.

Those raw oysters they sell in little jars - do they tend to be
dangerous? How well should I cook them - assuming it's within its
expiration date and looks and smells good, of course. Guy in the
Asian market told me you can eat them raw, but no thanks, not me. I
just bought a bottle in the local Walmart.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

My mistake, plastic jar. Williamspoint Oysters "from state approved
waters" in Washington, it says. They were good, actually. Smelled
real fresh. I cooked 'em in soup.

I deleted that post, no big reason, but you responded to it anyway, so
somehow it wasn't deleted. As always the mechanics of this place
remain a beffudlement to me!

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jun 28, 9:05 am, Dan Logcher > wrote:
> Wilson wrote:
> > Obviously folks are much busier now than through the rest of the year,
> > so I hope everyone is enjoying getting out and around. Not much going on
> > here except a bit of Red Tide which has shut the shellfish industry down
> > periodically. Lobster landings are down too - combination of lobster's
> > tricky migrations and $4.75 (was $5.00)/gal diesel prices hurting
> > everything. Tighten you belts and keep cash on hand, stay near home and
> > enjoy the little things (while they're still affordable.) ;-)

> Yeah, its been real busy lately.. And the sad part is I haven't had much
> sushi as of late. I did catch a nice fat 33" Striped Bass back on the 3rd.
> My kids loved eating sashimi from it..
>
> I also most never have clams nowadays, and Lobster only on special occasions.
> Redtide has come thru Massaschusetts once again. Maybe the higher fuel prices
> will keep some lobstermen off the ocean, and allow them to rebound. Just looking
> for a silver lining.
>
> --
> Dan

Hey Dan, I spent the week up at Hampton and can give you some local
scoop about lobstering. Seems that trapping for lobsters is becoming
tougher all the time. Reason being, that lobsters are a bycatch of
commercial groundfish boats and scallop draggers. Although federal
regulations and licensing are enforced, the fishermen are now allowed
to keep the legal sized ones, while tossing the young'uns over the
side. I was informed that the feds raised the license prices again,
( what else is new?), and that drove many boats off the water too.
Still, I was able to get 3 pounders for 8 .00/ lb from a local source.
Supermarkets are somewhat cheaper depending on where you go, but they
sure as hell are not any fresher. Lots of the independent lobster
shacks are disappearing.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past parrotheada1a posted this:
> On Jun 28, 9:05 am, Dan Logcher > wrote:
>> Wilson wrote:
>>> Obviously folks are much busier now than through the rest of the year,
>>> so I hope everyone is enjoying getting out and around. Not much going on
>>> here except a bit of Red Tide which has shut the shellfish industry down
>>> periodically. Lobster landings are down too - combination of lobster's
>>> tricky migrations and $4.75 (was $5.00)/gal diesel prices hurting
>>> everything. Tighten you belts and keep cash on hand, stay near home and
>>> enjoy the little things (while they're still affordable.) ;-)

>> Yeah, its been real busy lately.. And the sad part is I haven't had much
>> sushi as of late. I did catch a nice fat 33" Striped Bass back on the 3rd.
>> My kids loved eating sashimi from it..
>>
>> I also most never have clams nowadays, and Lobster only on special occasions.
>> Redtide has come thru Massaschusetts once again. Maybe the higher fuel prices
>> will keep some lobstermen off the ocean, and allow them to rebound. Just looking
>> for a silver lining.
>>
>> --
>> Dan

> Hey Dan, I spent the week up at Hampton and can give you some local
> scoop about lobstering. Seems that trapping for lobsters is becoming
> tougher all the time. Reason being, that lobsters are a bycatch of
> commercial groundfish boats and scallop draggers. Although federal
> regulations and licensing are enforced, the fishermen are now allowed
> to keep the legal sized ones, while tossing the young'uns over the
> side. I was informed that the feds raised the license prices again,
> ( what else is new?), and that drove many boats off the water too.
> Still, I was able to get 3 pounders for 8 .00/ lb from a local source.
> Supermarkets are somewhat cheaper depending on where you go, but they
> sure as hell are not any fresher. Lots of the independent lobster
> shacks are disappearing.

And much of that bycatch is dead when tossed back into the sea, which
doesn't help any either.

--
Wilson N45 W67

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past parrotheada1a posted this:

>>> Yeah, its been real busy lately.. And the sad part is I haven't had
>>> much
>>> sushi as of late. I did catch a nice fat 33" Striped Bass back on
>>> the 3rd.
>>> My kids loved eating sashimi from it..
>>>
>>> I also most never have clams nowadays, and Lobster only on special
>>> occasions.
>>> Redtide has come thru Massaschusetts once again. Maybe the higher
>>> fuel prices
>>> will keep some lobstermen off the ocean, and allow them to rebound.
>>> Just looking
>>> for a silver lining.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dan

>> Hey Dan, I spent the week up at Hampton and can give you some local
>> scoop about lobstering. Seems that trapping for lobsters is becoming
>> tougher all the time. Reason being, that lobsters are a bycatch of
>> commercial groundfish boats and scallop draggers. Although federal
>> regulations and licensing are enforced, the fishermen are now allowed
>> to keep the legal sized ones, while tossing the young'uns over the
>> side. I was informed that the feds raised the license prices again,
>> ( what else is new?), and that drove many boats off the water too.
>> Still, I was able to get 3 pounders for 8 .00/ lb from a local source.
>> Supermarkets are somewhat cheaper depending on where you go, but they
>> sure as hell are not any fresher. Lots of the independent lobster
>> shacks are disappearing.

> And much of that bycatch is dead when tossed back into the sea, which
> doesn't help any either.

Yeah that always bothered me.. Let drag up everything from the bottom and
toss away the dead small stuff that would grow to the full size we want.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Now the whole ecology of the sea seems to be changing and jellyfish
are starting to proliferate. People need to start eating more
jellyfish. What's the nutritional value of jellyfish? None, it says
he

http://www.pznow.co.uk/marine/jellyfish.html

But other sources say it's good for you.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jul 3, 7:59*am, The Fisherman > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 07:32:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
> >My mistake, plastic jar. *Williamspoint Oysters "from state approved
> >waters" in Washington, it says. *They were good, actually. *Smelled
> >real fresh. *I cooked 'em in soup.

> >I deleted that post, no big reason, but you responded to it anyway, so
> >somehow it wasn't deleted. *As always the mechanics of this place
> >remain a beffudlement to me!

> Hey WW, it's good you cooked them. No one can guarantee that they're
> good raw. 160 degrees kills most of the nasties in the world.
>
> This day in age, I trust no one when it comes to my health. Even the
> number of so-called professionals are making mistakes in increasing
> numbers. I don't choose to be their next one.
>
> BTW, for those such as me who download all posts regularly, it makes
> no difference if you delete the one on your Usenet server. It's
> already passed through about a million others and as in my case, been
> downloaded onto my computer. Some servers honor deletes, some don't.

A guy gotta be careful what he writes here, huh?

In a way those bottled oysters are safer than live store-bought
oysters. At least you know from whence they came, assuming you can
believe what's on the bottle.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

wrote:
> Now the whole ecology of the sea seems to be changing and jellyfish
> are starting to proliferate. People need to start eating more
> jellyfish. What's the nutritional value of jellyfish? None, it says
> he

http://www.pznow.co.uk/marine/jellyfish.html

> But other sources say it's good for you.

Its still filling.. so it could be used for weightloss I suppose
I am more than happy to eat my fill of jellies.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

....assuming you can
> believe what's on the bottle.

I mean what's on the label.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dan Logcher > wrote:
> wrote:
> > Now the whole ecology of the sea seems to be changing and jellyfish
> > are starting to proliferate. People need to start eating more
> > jellyfish. What's the nutritional value of jellyfish? None, it says
> > he

http://www.pznow.co.uk/marine/jellyfish.html

> > But other sources say it's good for you.

> Its still filling.. so it could be used for weightloss I suppose
> I am more than happy to eat my fill of jellies.

Vietnames Bun Sua soup.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
> wrote:
>> Now the whole ecology of the sea seems to be changing and jellyfish
>> are starting to proliferate. People need to start eating more
>> jellyfish. What's the nutritional value of jellyfish? None, it says
>> he

http://www.pznow.co.uk/marine/jellyfish.html

>> But other sources say it's good for you.

> Its still filling.. so it could be used for weightloss I suppose
> I am more than happy to eat my fill of jellies.

Never had jellyfish, what are they like? I would imagine they would be
pretty neutral without some sauce or seasoning. We'll should have a lot of
those saucer to dinner plate types that are clear except for four circles
that meet to form a clover-leaf pattern in the middle.

--
Wilson N45 W67
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Now the whole ecology of the sea seems to be changing and jellyfish
>>> are starting to proliferate. People need to start eating more
>>> jellyfish. What's the nutritional value of jellyfish? None, it says
>>> he

http://www.pznow.co.uk/marine/jellyfish.html

>>> But other sources say it's good for you.

>> Its still filling.. so it could be used for weightloss I suppose
>> I am more than happy to eat my fill of jellies.
>>

> Never had jellyfish, what are they like? I would imagine they would be
> pretty neutral without some sauce or seasoning. We'll should have a lot
> of those saucer to dinner plate types that are clear except for four
> circles that meet to form a clover-leaf pattern in the middle.

Nextime you are at an authentic Chinese restaurant.. ask for Jellyfish.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
> Wilson wrote:
>> sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:

http://www.pznow.co.uk/marine/jellyfish.html

>>> Its still filling.. so it could be used for weightloss I suppose
>>> I am more than happy to eat my fill of jellies.
>>>

>> Never had jellyfish, what are they like? I would imagine they would be
>> pretty neutral without some sauce or seasoning. We'll should have a
>> lot of those saucer to dinner plate types that are clear except for
>> four circles that meet to form a clover-leaf pattern in the middle.

> Nextime you are at an authentic Chinese restaurant.. ask for Jellyfish.

Sorry about the butchering of the language I did on that last sentence - I
could have at least finished it.

I researched a bit more and discovered that the jellyfish I see here every
summer shortly is the Aurelia aurita or Moon Jellyfish. They can be seen
he http://tinyurl.com/55an2l and from my experience, they have no sting.

FWIW, Wikipedia says "A. aurita is food in countries such as China,
Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia." Might have to hunt down a
recipe as I've never really found an authentic high-end Chinese eatery, no
offense, just my limited travels.

--
Wilson N45 W67
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Wilson posted this:
> sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
>> Wilson wrote:
>>> sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:

http://www.pznow.co.uk/marine/jellyfish.html

>>> Never had jellyfish, what are they like? I would imagine they would
>>> be pretty neutral without some sauce or seasoning. We'll should have
>>> a lot of those saucer to dinner plate types that are clear except for
>>> four circles that meet to form a clover-leaf pattern in the middle.

>> Nextime you are at an authentic Chinese restaurant.. ask for Jellyfish.
>>

> Sorry about the butchering of the language I did on that last sentence -
> I could have at least finished it.
>
> I researched a bit more and discovered that the jellyfish I see here
> every summer shortly is the Aurelia aurita or Moon Jellyfish. They can
> be seen he http://tinyurl.com/55an2l and from my experience, they
> have no sting.
>
> FWIW, Wikipedia says "A. aurita is food in countries such as China,
> Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia." Might have to hunt down
> a recipe as I've never really found an authentic high-end Chinese
> eatery, no offense, just my limited travels.

First hit - do any of these recipes sound familiar?
http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=jellyfish

--
Wilson N45 W67

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Wilson posted this:
>
>> sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:

http://www.pznow.co.uk/marine/jellyfish.html

>>> Nextime you are at an authentic Chinese restaurant.. ask for Jellyfish.
>>>

>> Sorry about the butchering of the language I did on that last sentence
>> - I could have at least finished it.
>>
>> I researched a bit more and discovered that the jellyfish I see here
>> every summer shortly is the Aurelia aurita or Moon Jellyfish. They can
>> be seen he http://tinyurl.com/55an2l and from my experience, they
>> have no sting.
>>
>> FWIW, Wikipedia says "A. aurita is food in countries such as China,
>> Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, and Indonesia." Might have to hunt
>> down a recipe as I've never really found an authentic high-end Chinese
>> eatery, no offense, just my limited travels.
>>

> First hit - do any of these recipes sound familiar?
> http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=jellyfish

The bottom one is close.. its typically got seseme, pickled diakon,
cilantro, and of course jellyfish.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past posted this:
>
>> "We had some folks get ill 2 years ago when a
>> family ate mussels they gathered attached to a floating mooring. Put
>> some
>> into the hospital w/paralytic shellfish poisoning in Bangor for weeks.
>> No
>> thanks!"
>>

>> ___________________
>>

>> Yipes! I used to cook up mussels I found around NYC when I lived back
>> there. I wasn't aware of that danger.
>>
>> Those raw oysters they sell in little jars - do they tend to be
>> dangerous? How well should I cook them - assuming it's within its
>> expiration date and looks and smells good, of course. Guy in the
>> Asian market told me you can eat them raw, but no thanks, not me. I
>> just bought a bottle in the local Walmart.
>>

> Well, it happened again. This time it was some folks that I knew who
> took some mussels off an mooring on the 4th and ended up going to the
> hospital. I think they might even still be there. This is the same
> situation as last time (which was *1* year ago) - Red Tide warnings were
> in place and the offending shellfish were mussels and not from the ocean
> floor, but from a floating mooring. This is the problem in my mind since
> the algae bloom concentrates in the upper strata. The poisoning slows
> the heart rate, so it's more than just sitting close to the 'water closet.'

It shouldn't make a difference if the mussels are from a mooring or from
the bottom.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
> Wilson wrote:
>> sometime in the recent past posted this:
>>
>>> "We had some folks get ill 2 years ago when a
>>> family ate mussels they gathered attached to a floating mooring. Put
>>> some
>>> into the hospital w/paralytic shellfish poisoning in Bangor for weeks.
>>> No
>>> thanks!"
>>>

>>> ___________________
>>>

>>> Yipes! I used to cook up mussels I found around NYC when I lived back
>>> there. I wasn't aware of that danger.
>>>
>>> Those raw oysters they sell in little jars - do they tend to be
>>> dangerous? How well should I cook them - assuming it's within its
>>> expiration date and looks and smells good, of course. Guy in the
>>> Asian market told me you can eat them raw, but no thanks, not me. I
>>> just bought a bottle in the local Walmart.
>>>

>> Well, it happened again. This time it was some folks that I knew who
>> took some mussels off an mooring on the 4th and ended up going to the
>> hospital. I think they might even still be there. This is the same
>> situation as last time (which was *1* year ago) - Red Tide warnings
>> were in place and the offending shellfish were mussels and not from
>> the ocean floor, but from a floating mooring. This is the problem in
>> my mind since the algae bloom concentrates in the upper strata. The
>> poisoning slows the heart rate, so it's more than just sitting close
>> to the 'water closet.'

> It shouldn't make a difference if the mussels are from a mooring or from
> the bottom.

There are studies underway to better understand this problem algae, in
particular here in the Gulf of Maine, Alexandrium fundyense, but it appears
there's a lot they don't know right now. From
http://tinyurl.com/63a546 (it
was a very long url & tinyurl.com fixes that) research reports:
> "Blooms" of the poison-producing plankton are coastal phenomena caused by

environmental conditions, which promote explosive growth. Factors that are
especially favorable include *warm surface temperatures*, high nutrient
content, *low salinity*, and calm seas. Rain followed by sunny weather in
the summer months is often associated with red tide blooms."<

Two things, IMHO, support my position: 1. "warm surface temperatures" and 2.
"low salinity."

Fresh water is lighter and rides on the surface of salt water until mixed.
The mooring lines where the mussels were harvested rise and fall with the
tide, but remain a constant distance from the surface. Anyone who was
getting "a feed" of mussels from a skiff would probably harvest only the
easily reached mussels near the surface.

Here's something else on toxicity concerning the recent and past poisonings

> the contaminated shellfish from Cutler already has been tested and was

found to contain 6,000 micrograms of toxin per liter of test solution. The
state’s threshold for closing harvesting areas is only 80 micrograms, but
mussels that were consumed last year by the Beals contained levels closer to
16,000 micrograms.<

the Bangor Daily News,
http://bangornews.com/news/t/downeas...798&zoneid=177

Mahogany quohogs get shut down too from red tide and they live in 200+ ft.
of water, so you are right that shellfish from the top or bottom can be
equally dangerous.

Summertime Favorites drinKay General 2 26-08-2013 06:57 AM
What is your favorite summertime dessert? Nexis General Cooking 60 22-08-2008 05:49 PM
Summertime Sangria International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 25-07-2008 03:42 AM
Summertime White Peaches Clay Irving General Cooking 5 07-07-2008 08:02 AM
Summertime turnips Bob Terwilliger General Cooking 7 05-06-2006 01:22 AM