Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Barbeque Rub

On Fri 04 Jul 2008 02:32:51p, Pete C. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> With hundreds if not thousands of barbeque rubs on the web, who needs
>> another one? Well, I like this one that I cobbled together years ago.
>> Don't think I've posted it here before. I usually spritz the meat with
>> a mixture of water, cider vinegar, a small amount of granulated sugar,
>> and a few hot pepper flakes.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Wayne's Sweet and Hot BBQ Rub
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 cup light brown sugar
>> 1/2 cup chili powder
>> 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
>> 1 tablespoon granulated onion
>> 1 tablespoon paprika
>> 2 teaspoons salt
>> 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
>> 1/4 cup whole black peppercorns
>> 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
>> 2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
>> 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
>> 3 each whole cloves
>> 1 each large bay leaf
>>
>> Combine brown sugar, chili powder, granulated garlic, granulated onion,
>> paprika, salt, and Old Bay seasoning in a medium mixing bowl.
>>
>> Combine peppercorns, coriander seeds, allspice berries, cumin seeds,
>> cloves, and bay leaf in spice mill and grind until mixture is reduced
>> to a fine powder.
>>
>> Add ground spices to mixture in mixing bowl. Blend well with wire
>> whisk. If there are any remaining lumps in mixture, pass through a fine
>> sieve.
>>
>> Store mixture in an airtight container.

> When I started doing 'Q I experimented with a few rub recipes from
> various sources. I came to the conclusion that 1. a rub should not
> contain any sugars, and 2. most rub recipes were more complicated than
> necessary.
>
> My rub recipe:
>
> 50% Chili powder (Tone's works well)
> 20% Garlic powder
> 10% Paprika
> 10% Kosher salt
> 10% Black pepper
>
> Makes as much as you want

Like most cooking, ingredients are a matter of personal preference. I
prefer a more complex flavor as well as a sweet base.

Nothing wrong with either style. I would enjoy the simplicity of your
recipe, but I would feel compelled to add sugar. :-)

FWIW, I can't stand barbecue sauces, used either during cooking or at
table.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)