Posted to alt.food.sushi
Wilson[_3_] Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Summertime Quiet

sometime in the recent past Dan Logcher posted this:
> Wilson wrote:
>> Obviously folks are much busier now than through the rest of the year,
>> so I hope everyone is enjoying getting out and around. Not much going
>> on here except a bit of Red Tide which has shut the shellfish industry
>> down periodically. Lobster landings are down too - combination of
>> lobster's tricky migrations and $4.75 (was $5.00)/gal diesel prices
>> hurting everything. Tighten you belts and keep cash on hand, stay near
>> home and enjoy the little things (while they're still affordable.) ;-)

> Yeah, its been real busy lately.. And the sad part is I haven't had much
> sushi as of late. I did catch a nice fat 33" Striped Bass back on the 3rd.
> My kids loved eating sashimi from it..
>
> I also most never have clams nowadays, and Lobster only on special
> occasions.
> Redtide has come thru Massaschusetts once again. Maybe the higher fuel
> prices
> will keep some lobstermen off the ocean, and allow them to rebound.
> Just looking
> for a silver lining.

You got it! I suspect some changes throughout and hoping that's a good
thing. Tough to stop paying bills in mid-stream, but if one has a choice,
I'd like a little more breathing room between me, the next paycheck and
bankruptcy. Budget for a long dry spell. <small rant ends here>

I'm getting too lazy to dig my own clams much, but I can scratch up a peck
when the Red Tide isn't in. We had some folks get ill 2 years ago when a
family ate mussels they gathered attached to a floating mooring. Put some
into the hospital w/paralytic shellfish poisoning in Bangor for weeks. No
thanks!

Lobster prices have been high, but word was this summer the fishermen would
be getting under $3/lb. Their word was 'We'll stay tied up for that.'

So 33" striper, I'd have to check our regs to see what the current size must
be. I haven't caught one since '69 - you got the nuts down there for
stripers & Blues. Too cold for good annual runs around here I guess. Striper
is the best salt water fish I've eaten next to flounder ;-)

Getting ready to thin the carrots. Transplanted some Red Shiso seedlings
yesterday - grew green last year.

--
Wilson N45 W67