Posted to rec.food.cooking
The Ranger[_6_] The Ranger[_6_] is offline

Default Be Sure Of Your Order

So, last night, SWMBO and I decided to go out for a meal and
after some deliberation decided to check out the Red Palace, a
Chinese restaurant that local Sinophiles were raving about.
We spent several minutes perusing the menu before finally
agreeing to try the chef's special, Hakka Chicken Surprise,
which was served in a lidded cast iron pot.

Just as SWMBO was about to start in on our meal, the lid of the
pot rose slightly and she briefly saw two beady little eyes
peering out at her before the lid slammed back down.

"Good grief! Did you see that?" she exclaimed.

"See what?" I ask so She asked me to look in the pot.

20 years of marriage have taught me to Just Do It when asked so
I reached for the lid. The lid again rose for a brief instant,
and two beady little eyes glared out at me before the lid
slammed back down.

Not believing what I just saw, I started to reach for the pot
again, and again, the lid rose for an instant, two beady little
eyes glared out at me, and then the lid slammed down.

Disturbed, I signaled the waiter over and demanded an
explanation.

"What did you order?" asked the waiter.

"The Hakka Chicken Surprise," I replied.

"Ah!" exclaimed the waiter, "So sorry. My mistake. I thought
you ordered the ..."

..

..
..