Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cuthbert Thistlethwaite Cuthbert Thistlethwaite is offline

Default Speaking of the five-minute artisan bread book

> The book says not to worry about the rise before baking. It's got plenty
> of oven spring.

That's not what's happening. I've been using the recipe posted here a
couple of weeks ago, and using an 8x4 glass loaf pan.

The dough rises when first made; then collapses a little. I bake about
a pound right away, without much rising in the oven. Then I put the
rest of the dough away, in the fridge. When I take another pound out in
a couple of days, I let it sit out for about an hour, but no more rising
happens. In the oven, it does not rise again, and I'm getting nice
little loaves, about the size of a pound cake, but only perhaps two
inches high.

Maybe I'd better look at that book.

You encouraged me to use the loaf pan because I didn't want a boule
loaf, and you were quite right; the loaf pan is successful. Thanks for
that!