Steve Wertz

Default "natural flavor"

On 24 Oct 2003 03:23:17 GMT, OSPAM (JLove98905)
wrote:

>This is a pet peeve of mine. When labels say "natural flavor." A lot of times,
>this seems to mean that the flavor is artificial, but designed to taste like
>its natural counterpart. Like, "natural orange flavor" sometimes means flavored
>to taste LIKE natural oranges.
>
>But sometimes, I think it really does mean that the flavor is naturally
>derived. I can't tell the difference sometimes. It bugs me! Has anyone else
>managed to decode this?

Natural cimply means that it's derrived from natural sources rather
than synthetic. Natural orange flavor (eg.) is not necessarily from
oranges. If they can extract the same chemicals from another
(cheaper) natural source (even cows), they will, and still call it
"natural falvors".

-sw