JLove98905

Default "natural flavor"

This is a pet peeve of mine. When labels say "natural flavor." A lot of times,
this seems to mean that the flavor is artificial, but designed to taste like
its natural counterpart. Like, "natural orange flavor" sometimes means flavored
to taste LIKE natural oranges.

But sometimes, I think it really does mean that the flavor is naturally
derived. I can't tell the difference sometimes. It bugs me! Has anyone else
managed to decode this?

-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Frogleg

On 24 Oct 2003 03:23:17 GMT, OSPAM (JLove98905)
wrote:

>This is a pet peeve of mine. When labels say "natural flavor." A lot of times,
>this seems to mean that the flavor is artificial, but designed to taste like
>its natural counterpart. Like, "natural orange flavor" sometimes means flavored
>to taste LIKE natural oranges.
>
>But sometimes, I think it really does mean that the flavor is naturally
>derived. I can't tell the difference sometimes. It bugs me! Has anyone else
>managed to decode this?

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/CF101-22.HTML

An extract:
"(3) The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential
oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate,
distillate,
or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the
flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice,
vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root,
leaf
or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy
products,
or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food
is
flavoring rather than nutritional."

Richard Periut

(JLove98905) wrote:

>>else

>>>And she probably drives a car which runs over or otherwise splatters
>>>dozens of bugs each day.

>>And your point is....? Unless of course you can point us to a definition of
>>"vegetarian" that includes "refuses to engage in activities that might kill
>>insects."

> Obviously this person is a vegetarian for *ethical* reasons, not for
> health reasons. Wouldn't you agree?

> -sw

I can only shake my head in disbelief, that someone would risk months of
having a vacant property to "save" the ants (as if they are not prolific
when it comes to procreating,)losing $ in the process, and not even
consider the many children dying of hunger and CURABLE diseases at a
global level; which two or three months of rent can be devoted to said
cause.

This, to me, is the epitome of idiocy and hypocrisy.

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Mark

Richard Periut wrote:

> This, to me, is the epitome of idiocy and hypocrisy.

Where did this thread start?

Richard Periut

Mark wrote:

> Richard Periut wrote:
>

>> This, to me, is the epitome of idiocy and hypocrisy.
>>

> Where did this thread start?

Try google newsgroups.

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Steve Wertz

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 03:06:03 GMT, Richard Periut >
wrote:

>> Obviously this person is a vegetarian for *ethical* reasons, not for
>> health reasons. Wouldn't you agree?
>>
>> http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,98227,00.html
>>
>> -sw

>I can only shake my head in disbelief, that someone would risk months of
>having a vacant property to "save" the ants (as if they are not prolific
>when it comes to procreating,)losing $ in the process, and not even
>consider the many children dying of hunger and CURABLE diseases at a
>global level; which two or three months of rent can be devoted to said
>cause.
>
>This, to me, is the epitome of idiocy and hypocrisy.

This is Texas - Fire ants are *everywhere* and are quite the PITA.
I've been the hospital twice this year already due to the little
pricks. It really becomes a safety and legal issue whe you have
fire-ant infestations in public places.

The hamurger joint's lease is up RSN. So that's another vacancy. The
bridal shop is still empty (and will probably be that way for quite a
while, along with a fully equiped restaurant space that will only be
able to serve vegetarian food.

-sw
Peter Aitken

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:55:16 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:

naturally

anyone
> >else

eat

> >> And she probably drives a car which runs over or otherwise splatters
> >> dozens of bugs each day.

> >And your point is....? Unless of course you can point us to a definition

of
> >"vegetarian" that includes "refuses to engage in activities that might

kill
> >insects."

> Obviously this person is a vegetarian for *ethical* reasons, not for
> health reasons. Wouldn't you agree?

Perhaps, but I do not see the relevance. Some vegetarians believe it is
wrong to kill sentient beings, by which they mean mammals and birds, and
have no objection for animals they consider non-sentient (fish, insects).
Others believe it is wrong to kill an animal unnecessarily when you have a
choice so they don't eat animals, but understand that some human activities
unavoidable result in animals being killed. Your original post was obviously
an attempt to paint this person as a hypocrite and I am showing that this is
not necessarily the case.

Peter G. Aitken