Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default Chorizo Sausage

"gunner" > wrote in message
access...

> "racque" > wrote in message
>>I would like to find a good tested recipe for making Chorizo sausage
>> at home. Any ideas or recommendations on the best place to look for
>> one?

> http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm#FRESH
>

> A basic Fresh Chorizo:
> adjust to your taste, I do not use the optional spices:
>
> 1 tablespoon ground red chile of your choice.
> 1 pound ground pork
> 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
> 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
> 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
> 1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
> 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin sometimes crushed seeds
> 2 cloves minced garlic
> 1 teaspoon salt

The pound of ground pork is usually trimmings while dressing out the pig,
then stuffing into intestines to make the 'sausage'. In a Mexican ranch,
nothing is wasted of the pig except what's inside the intestine at time of
death. That is washed out neatly. Oh, and the blood clot is also tossed. The
blood plus onions goes into blood sausage.

Cumin is a recent addition to the traditional stuff.