Old 13-06-2008, 12:47 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default preserving vegetables for the short term

James Silverton wrote:

Those are some pretty good tips that I won't repeat but I'd add that
celery keeps very well in a plastic bag in a crisper. It may blanch
but I prefer white to green anyway. The leaves will turn brown long
before the stalks are unappetizing even if a small amount of cut end
needs trimming. In my experience, parsley and cilantro keep best in
plastic bags in the fridge if dry rather than damp even if stores
tend to sprinkle them with water.

The most recent issue of Cook's Illustrated covered this subject
and this is the one tip I found interesting, even though I think I've
heard it before. Storing tomatoes stem end down does cause
them to last longer. It reduces air and moisture transfering
through the scar.

nancy