Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default What to put on belgian waffles so they're not dry?

On Jun 4, 3:46�pm, meatnub > wrote:
> I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
> chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.
>
> But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
> him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.
>
> Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles to make them
> less dry when eating?
>
> Whip cream, but there's sugar in that. Peanut butter.. more sugar, and
> of the corn kind too, unless I find a natural peanut butter.
>
> I don't think I have a lot of options. Fruit syrup I guess, but surely
> there's sugar in that.
>
> I just hate to constantly give my boy sugar (in whatever form) on his
> waffles and start giving him teeth problems.
>
> Appreciate your suggestions/advice as always,
> Paul

There isn't much one can use to moisten waffles that children will
enjoy that doesn't contain sweetener in one form or another so natural
fruit is probably best; applesauce and fresh berries... fruit butters
are good too; apple, pear, peach, and of course yogurt with fruit is
probably most nutritious. The sugars naturally contained in foods
are not going to affect teeth one iota if a regimen of proper brushing
directly after meals is instilled. And waffles in of themself are not
very nutritious anyway, and especially not if you're buying those
funky frozen ones you pop in the toaster.