Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default Grinding meat

On May 21, 4:34�pm, meatnub > wrote:
> On May 20, 4:40�pm, Sheldon > wrote:

> > > The whole trick is to keep the meat as cold as possible. That way it doesn't
> > > gunk up the grinder.

> > Put everything in the freezer to chill, the bowls, the cutting board,
> > etc., �especially the grinder head. �After slicing the meat, before
> > grinding, place into the freezer for 15 minutes to chill and firm up.
> > Have all your wrappings ready in advance too, your counter tops wiped
> > down and cleared also, you don't want to leave meat out at room
> > temperature any longer than necessary... it's a good idea to do bulk
> > meat meat grinding in early morning, the coolest part of the day.
> > It's smart to place your ground meat back in the fridge while you
> > clean up, you don't want the dirty grinder and utensils lying about
> > longer than necessary either. �The most difficult part about grinding
> > is in the planning, and always *safety* of course.

> > A good practice is to trim some of the large clumps of fat from your
> > chuck, round, or whatever beef and after slicing into strips coat meat
> > with some mild olive oil, replaces the fat with cholesterol free fat
> > while it lubes the grinder for a better grind. �After some practice
> > you will learn to judge fat content pretty accurately by eye. �I don't
> > save the fat trimmings, I really have no use for them, instead I toss
> > them out into the yard, the crows will carry them off within three
> > minutes after I shut the back door.- Hide quoted text -

> On May 20, 4:40 pm, Sheldon > wrote:
>

> > > The whole trick is to keep the meat as cold as possible. That way it doesn't
> > > gunk up the grinder.

> > Put everything in the freezer to chill, the bowls, the cutting board,
> > etc., �especially the grinder head. �After slicing the meat, before
> > grinding, place into the freezer for 15 minutes to chill and firm up.
> > Have all your wrappings ready in advance too, your counter tops wiped
> > down and cleared also, you don't want to leave meat out at room
> > temperature any longer than necessary... it's a good idea to do bulk
> > meat meat grinding in early morning, the coolest part of the day.
> > It's smart to place your ground meat back in the fridge while you
> > clean up, you don't want the dirty grinder and utensils lying about
> > longer than necessary either. �The most difficult part about grinding
> > is in the planning, and always *safety* of course.

> > A good practice is to trim some of the large clumps of fat from your
> > chuck, round, or whatever beef and after slicing into strips coat meat
> > with some mild olive oil, replaces the fat with cholesterol free fat
> > while it lubes the grinder for a better grind. �After some practice
> > you will learn to judge fat content pretty accurately by eye. �I don't
> > save the fat trimmings, I really have no use for them, instead I toss
> > them out into the yard, the crows will carry them off within three
> > minutes after I shut the back door.- Hide quoted text -

> Thank you very much for that info! I saw that (chilling the meat and
> [...]

Bread/cracker crumbs, nuts, cheese, any vegetable for meat loaf, fish
for fish cakes, cooked meat for hash/pasta filling, and of course a
grinder is the best way to prepare raw potatoes for latkes. I
recommend, for anyone, to begin by learning to grind plain meat for
burgers, don't try anything exotic until you learn proper food
handling practices... I recommend reading Kutas' book cover to cover
at least three times before attempting any sausage.