Fiona

Default Vegan food in the Western Isles of Scotland?

> Only have been on Isle Of Skye and around Ft William and that area.
> Pretty rural. Don't expect much! Eating out will mostly likely consist
> of jacket potato with baked beans and a side salad.
>
> If I was going to tour that area, I'd get self-catering accomodations
> and bring a bag of basic vegan fare with me to cook myself. The shops
> will only carry fairly basic items. I did this when touring the
> Orkneys and it worked out quite well. I did stumble on a restaurant or
> two that served vegetarian meals but it was nice not having to depend
> on them as I had loads of food back at the self-catering house.

I live in Orkney, so I do know what rural areas are like. I'm going to Barra
and flying so baggage will be very limited, I'm really wondering what we'll
be able to buy on Barra in the way of diary-free stuff as we're
self-catering. I was hoping maybe someone would have been and could tell me.

And as an aside - Orkney has improved hugely in the last year or so in the
range of stuff you can buy in the shops, and also in eating places being
willing to make you something different or adapt something on the menu to
suit you.